Interesting Pine Tree

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
1D04B8D0-6D02-47B2-BB0D-7912B5C8B50B.jpeg I took this picture of a pine that is located at the Yorktown Battlefield in Yorktown, VA, USA. I thought that the low sweeping branches were interesting. The curve and sweep down to the ground. I thought I would share. The tree next to it also has a nice structure.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I grew up near there in Williamsburg, awesome place! If you live near there, you should check out the Colonial Parkway near Jamestown Settlement, lots of cool old Bald Cypress on the James River!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I grew up near there in Williamsburg, awesome place! If you live near there, you should check out the Colonial Parkway near Jamestown Settlement, lots of cool old Bald Cypress on the James River!
I travel Colonial Parkway just about every other weekend toating the wife up to the outlet malls lol. Getting into Bonsai has given me a new appreciation for the drive on the parkway. I am always looking at the trees now.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It's not bad, if you can find some old loblolly on the coast and in the black swamps - now there's some inspiration

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
CW has some really nice old trees too, there's some nice wide spreading oaks near the magazine and governor's palace.

Growing up there didn't leave much to do for kids (except Busch Gardens) but I definitely appreciate the area and spent countless hours getting lost in the woods; that's really where I found my interest in trees and the outdoors in general.

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Pine trees typically self-prune, meaning they lose branches except at the very top. I think this sort of tree is called a 'Wolf tree' when it manages to keep low branches due to genetic or environmental factors.

Top Bottom