Interesting take on Japanese shows

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Don't forget that slab... holy crap! Fwiw, my initial impression was that I didn't like that pot/tree combo, mainly because of the pot, obviously. To me, the slab and the pot seem to be trying to carry equal weight with that large, deadwood needle juniper, which fails ultimately for me. I'd love to see the whole display from the intended front, though.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, the pot looks to have a gold kintsugi repair in the front.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't know anything about the pot, other than it is pretty unusual. And that it's cracks have been repaired with kintsugi (I have a feeling the crack is original to the pot and came at firing), and it being used in a show, indicates that it is not really a "typical" pot. ...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was curious...if they made a decission to add the decorative gold in those rings around the pot to add more of a statement with that repaired front.
Its hard to tell from the photo, but those rings look to me like lighter clay integral to the construction of the pot. Could be wrong though. The crack looks to me like a structural "sag" in the clay as it fired or dried.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Its hard to tell from the photo, but those rings look to me like lighter clay integral to the construction of the pot. Could be wrong though. The crack looks to me like a structural "sag" in the clay as it fired or dried.
You're correct! Went to the office onto a larger screen. I thought it odd for that much gold!

Top Bottom