Interesting ukibori example

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ukibori is often used in creating netsuke - it is the technique of leaving a raised pattern behind by removing wood around the pattern. In this example, it is created by compressing wood fibers, sanding down the wood, then wetting the wood so the compressed wood fibers expand, leaving you with a raised surface. It is an amazing piece of work (in progress).

397_detail1w.jpg

See the entire example here.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm slack jawed after viewing that. I'm at a loss for words. The final product is great but the process is just incredible. Wow.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
wow :D , that is very nice, i would like to try that some day.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sweet... I am very fond of wood carving... still trying to get good at it... lol Is this your own peice? And if so... or even if you know... could you tell me what tools (power or otherwise) were used in it's carving?

The detail is spectacular.... Were the compressed wood fibers a block that was purchased? And lastly... what size is the work?

With respect,

Victrinia

Reaction score
USDA Zone
wow, following that link led me into her world, then into the netsuke forum, which looks kind of new. What an interesting pastime! I am afraid to contact her to ask what she gets for her small pieces!

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
WOW!! Some really detailed work for sure. Man those carving tools are quit small. I noticed that she uses a type of jewelers magnifying glass to work on some of her carvings. Man my eyes would go buggy for sure:eek: I went to one of the links on her links page where this guy uses mainly juniper wood, boy that wood is beautiful!!
http://www.osipovnetsuke.com/juniper.html

Thanks for sharing this Greg.

A Friend in bonsai
John

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Anybody brave enough to find the price yet?
Mom

Hans Vleugels

Yamadori
Reaction score
Last year I mailed Mr Schneider for the prices of his art. I still have that mail, and this was his answer..

The price of my carvings are not so small as the size of them. The price range for my netsukes is from 5500 USD - 10000 USD. The snake okimonos on my site are a little bit more expensive. My work is rather timeconsuming, especially the amphibians and reptiles. At example: For a lizard on a branch, I need more than 10 weeks, for a snake carving a whole winter. This only to get a relation between the time and the money.

If You want more price details now, I would be delighted to give You the prices to my different netsuke.

Would be nice to hear from You again.

Thank You for the interest to my creations!

Strange enough, I think it's probably worth the money. But that's out of my league anyway, and I rather spend it on something else, like good starting material. He has my deepest respect for his art, I just love it, but I am already happy if I can look at it on his website..

Regards,
Hans

Top Bottom