Interesting video on Prunus Mume branch wiring

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have done something a bit similar to get dramatic movement in the trunk of young cherry trees in the past. I'm not sure I'd try it on mume as they're not cheap :)

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I wonder if the fact that ALL of the branches get snapped influences the tree choosing not to drop the branches.

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
David Easterbrook applied the technique a few times to this Ume, and when I brought the tree to him to work on, he did it once more in front of me without warning - my heart stopped! The branch of course survived.

It works if done right, but is meant for a very specific aesthetic objective. I guess its also a fun trick to do at a demo on Ume LOL

Attachments

• 2019.05.20.5.jpg
    2019.05.20.5.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 58
  • MTW_4469-D.jpg
    MTW_4469-D.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 2020.03.03.2.JPG
    2020.03.03.2.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 58

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think one can do this to most any species.

The key, of course, is that the branch is held stably across the break (e.g., was wired prior to snapping). A little dab of one's favorite 'cut paste' or wrapping will certainly improve one's success rate, though it may not matter much with a few particular species such as mume or persimmon.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have snapped branches doing espalier on fruit trees and the branches survived being tied down to the wire.

Top Bottom