Interior of this new Hinoki Cypress is super wet.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Turns out this tree is super close to the soil and there was a lot of wet, dead foliage in the interior of this tree. The soil feels really wet. What should I do? Exterior foliage feels and looks great.

I'm guessing I should clear some soil from the top and place it below to prop the plant up and out of the pot a little more, but I decided I'd ask.

Pic 1 is the interior of the foliage, Pic 2 in how the tree looks in the pot.

Attachments

• IMG_20220809_120641866.jpg
    IMG_20220809_120641866.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20220809_123656003_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220809_123656003_HDR.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 49

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All I'm thinking about, is how sure of a sign this is to that tree that growing down in there is useless.

Makes me wonder if the truth behind these "not backbudding" is because they are better at receiving and remembering these signals of where putting growth was poor.

Like, perhaps if we never allow an area to "spoil" it will always backbud.

Eh, I don't believe these "don't backbud", I believe in their want to live more, just a matter of making that will to live work for our design.

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Turns out this tree is super close to the soil and there was a lot of wet, dead foliage in the interior of this tree. The soil feels really wet. What should I do? Exterior foliage feels and looks great.

I'm guessing I should clear some soil from the top and place it below to prop the plant up and out of the pot a little more, but I decided I'd ask.

Pic 1 is the interior of the foliage, Pic 2 in how the tree looks in the pot.

Instead of lifting the tree, try cutting down the top of the pot. I'd also try cleaning out that wet foliage.

The tree was probably repeatedly doused on its foliage when watered

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Instead of lifting the tree, try cutting down the top of the pot. I'd also try cleaning out that wet foliage.

The tree was probably repeatedly doused on its foliage when watered
Yeah cleaning out the foliage was the first thing I did. If I may, what advantage would cutting the lip of the pot provide?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah cleaning out the foliage was the first thing I did. If I may, what advantage would cutting the lip of the pot provide?

You would be lowering the rim of the pot. It would do the same as lifting the tree up in the pot except without disturbing the roots.

Top Bottom