International Bonsai magazine; book 2006 vol.1

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you check with Bill Valavanis? He may have back issues. I know he had a fire a few years ago so don't know what he has. I will check to see if I have it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Did you check with Bill Valavanis? He may have back issues. I know he had a fire a few years ago so don't know what he has. I will check to see if I have it.
His website doesn't list that volume. It has the other one I wanted. @William N. Valavanis ... Would you happen to have a copy? Plan on placing an order on your site. But didn't see this one.

Would appreciate your taking a look Al. Doing research and this and one other came up as good info for my quest of knowledge. Found a link that offers a bit of what is in it. But feel there is more than what I found over on International bonsai's website for that volume. I think it was the tip of the iceberg one could say.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is the entire thing. Thats 7 pages in a magazine. Thats GOLD baby!

Everything you need to know is right there. The artistry part, that can't be put into a book or magazine.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That is the entire thing. Thats 7 pages in a magazine. Thats GOLD baby!

Everything you need to know is right there. The artistry part, that can't be put into a book or magazine.
It is GOLD! I just assumed there was more articles in there. Ordered one of his 2010 vol 4... And his Past,Present,Future in color book too. Thanks Al, I just didn't want to miss anything extra. If there was more...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Everything about this book is unparalleled...except the Gothic style World War Two Germany print " FINE BONSAI" on the cover and slip cover.....:D

It just seems out of place. Some elegant script would have conveyed a much less harsh image.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a copy of Fine Bonsai, too. I had Bill sign my copy at the Silohette Show. THAT made it worth $500!!!

The photos are great, mostly. There are some that could be better. The photographer had a unique style... he would study the subject and adjust the lighting, then take one photo. That’s it. One photo. Most photographers would take several with different lighting arrangement, f-stops, depth of field, etc. Not this guy. One photo. So, there are a couple photos that might have benefitted from a retake. The descriptions of the trees and their history is first class.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a copy of Fine Bonsai, too. I had Bill sign my copy at the Silohette Show. THAT made it worth $500!!!
Found one on ebay last month for $55. Not signed though (maybe a visit to Bill is in order, hmmm) but in almost new condition. Still going through it but worth every penny.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Al,
Glad you enjoyed the book. Although the photos are "artsy" the best part, for serious people is in the back. The history and information found about each listed tree cannot be found anywhere. A tremendous amount of research went into that section.

Chinese, Japanese and Chojubai flowering quince have been topics in International BONSAI for the past 28 years.
Japanese Flowering Quince: Spring 1980*
Japanese Flowering Quince: 2006/1*
Japanese Flowering Quince: 2007/
Chinese Quince: 1988/NO. 3*
Chinese Quince: 1997/NO. 4
Chinese Quince: 1999/NO.
Chojubai Flowering Quince 2014/NO. 1CHOJUBAI 1.JPGCHOJUBAI 2.JPGCHOJUBAI 3.JPGCHOJUBAI WHITE.JPGScreen Shot 2019-01-19 at 7.49.35 AM copy.JPG
*out of print, sorry

The most authoritative and comprehensive article on Chojubai Flowering Quince was written by Owen Reich in the 2014/NO. 1 issue. Sx full pages illustrated with beautiful photos of beautiful bonsai complete this article.
If you like Chojubai Flowering quince, check out our new 2019 Seedlings & Pre-Bonsai Catalog has some beautiful WHITE Chojubai Flowering Quince available. Check it out here:
http://www.internationalbonsai.com/seedling list

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Saw that book on Amazon a few days ago for $135. I believe there were several copies. No luck on the magazine though

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Saw that book on Amazon a few days ago for $135. I believe there were several copies. No luck on the magazine though
Check periodically on ebay. Right now there are no cheaper copies but I got one there for $55 last month.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@William N. Valavanis thank you for sharing the information of books that had them in it...and the photos of the article from Owen. I may have to try my hand at a Chojubai. I was trying to see how to go about developing a Toyo Nishiki. And come across the articles referring of the one I inquired about in the title but seems the link held the same info. As well as the 2010 vol. 4 ...which I did just buy.

Trying to decide...do I let it thicken more or cut back hard. Your link above you kept cutting back the cutting into development. Which makes me feel I need to do that with the Toyo. But, it seems it will never have the ramification of a chojubai. That said...I reckon, might be interesting to undertake. Just for the comparison of seeing their differences.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@William N. Valavanis thank you for sharing the information of books that had them in it...and the photos of the article from Owen. I may have to try my hand at a Chojubai. I was trying to see how to go about developing a Toyo Nishiki.
I've had one (toyo) in the ground for 4 or 5 years. It is doing well but slow to put on trunk size (I am trying to develop a single trunk form), likes to throw suckers from the root system. They (the suckers) are very vigorous so I remove them
regularly. I can see why people let these develop into clump styles!

Top Bottom