International Shipping

pduffin

Seed
Reaction score
I'm a military member serving in Korea and was introduced to the Bonsai community while here. I had a bonsai given to me which I am taking care of and have grown fond of it. I'm being reassigned to Hawaii in several months and was wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction on whether it's possible to ship bonsais internationally and if so how is it safely done and where can I find local laws for shipping of plants? Thanks for any help.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I am sure you will get some answers on the shipping but let me say:

1) Thank you for serving! You are very appreciated.

2) Welcome to the Nut House!

3) Enjoy the addiction!

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My brother used to be a crew chief for the airforce C-9. If I were you, I would ask someone personally to carry it for you on one of the flights to Hawaii. Without going into too much detail, I think this can be done.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
That would be smuggling! It is against the law to bring plants into the USA without a phytosanitary certificate and a LONG quarantine. Hawaii"s laws are even tougher.

This is because of the danger of bringing in serious agricultural and horticultuiral pests.

I too thank you for your service, but please don't spoil it by breaking the law.

At the very least your tree would be confiscated and destroyed.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I agree with JKL. I'd start by contacting the USDA. Chances are it will be difficult/time consuming/expensive or impossible to have your plant shipped legally. What type of plant is it? That may make a huge difference in what you can accomplish. Good luck,

Dave

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I had a bonsai given to me which I am taking care of and have grown fond of it. I'm being reassigned to Hawaii in several months"

First off, thank you for your service.

Second, what kind of tree is it? This could be a deal breaker, as the climate in Hawaii is substantially different than Korea. If this is an "outside" plant like a maple or pine, it might not be all that happy in Hawaii. You might be better off leaving it in Korea. However, if it is a ficus or "indoor" tropical plant it would be OK in the tropics.

However, as noted importation laws are rather strict, so you might inquire about rules, either in your branch or at the USDA.

Top Bottom