Intro and question

KCS2015

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is my first post here. I have been reading many threads here and am impressed at the knowledge here. I have seedling trees that, while they may not be bonsai even within my lifetime they will still be beautiful, and perhaps someone will get to take over where I left off. My seedlings (grapefruit, lemon, mango, and an avocado that is close to germinating) are not exactly zone 5. I had them already though before coming here and learning about zone envy. I am going to make sure these trees get real light though (and spend the summer outside) and actually get some trees to work on that ARE zone 5 compatible. I am fascinated by the idea of mame but I also like the larger trees a lot. My question is about developing nebari. I am going to put these trees in 5 gallon pots in the spring. I want to try the cd method of making roots spread outwards. I even thought about buying the plastic trays meant for pots to drain into in an effort to make the plants spread out their roots. Just not sure if that is a good idea. I know these trees have 5 to 10 years to go to even become mame. The mango tree I want to make larger so it has a good 10 to 20 years to go. Thing is the nebari need the same amount of time to develop convincingly no? I may be a bit premature in worrying about nebari on these trees but they are growing nicely, especially the grapefruit trees. As for sun and humidity, there is plenty of that here in the late spring to early fall. Mangos like a dry season so overwintering them in our house I am hoping that will work. I am going to build a display case for these trees that will have metal halide lighting, glass sides and front, and of course a paint that will render the wood waterproof. I will have a humidifier in it. In the meantime these plants get 6 hours of direct sun per day as we have a sliding door with southern exposure.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You just want to prevent the roots from growing straight down. If you have these trees in containers, make the containers shallow and wide. Conversely, plant them over a buried tile or a buried rock, so the roots have to spread horizontally.

Oh - and it helps if you put your location in your profile so we know generally where you live.

KCS2015

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I thought I had already included that info in my profile. I fixed it now. Thank you for letting me know. I am in Central IL in zone 5b. I am going to get some shallow pots and get some old CDs I can afford to bury for a few years :D Thank you all for the welcome.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
...or just any old kitchen or bath tile. Tiles work really well because they are (1) cheap (2) don't degrade underground and (3) come in many sizes. Home Depot is your friend :)

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please, get a few Tamarind seeds, Olive seeds and Pomegranate seeds. [ see Chinese and Indian stores or ask Geo if he can post you a few seeds ]
See if you have any Hackberry trees.

The list you have given, will be very difficult to do much with.
Especially the avocado.
Best to you.
Good Day
Anthony

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome, Do your self a favor and do as much reading as you can this winter. In the spring attack the local nurseries with vengeance. It would also be a good idea to seek out a local club to join. You will have people in your area to help you along the way.

What kind of outdoor space do you have available?

KCS2015

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't have tons as we live in an apartment. I always heard citrus made good bonsai. The avocado and the mango I know are questionable though. I was planning on getting some local trees in the spring. I will be doing plenty more reading. There is much I have to learn yet.

Woodland Spirit

Chumono
Reaction score
Some say citrus is good some say its bad for bonsai. All I know is I saw a modest quality orange bonsai last Wednesday with 3 full size oranges. The trunk didn't have much taper but it looked like a tree.

Woodland Spirit

Chumono
Reaction score
A quick search showed several places claiming to sell bonsai near your area.
If, and I repeat, IF they sell real bonsai they may be grown locally. If so I'd try to get to know the grower. I tried looking for clubs and whatnot but my attention span ran out.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just met a woman recently who had grown an orange, and an avocado, both in an apartment, both about 6ft tall, with about 2 inch trunks.

Impressive....it can be done.

Bonsai?

The Orange could get there.
I could never get a mango or avocado past a few leaves. Fun though.

My orange/citrus? Has been neglected, overpruned, underpotted, and just keeps living.....very forgiving.

Ficus ficus ficus!

Sorce

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Think about the size of mangos and grapefruit. The fruits (if they fruit) will be out of scale with the trees and look pretty big. Plus they need bugs to pollinate. Mangos have big leaves that most dont like, also out of scale. Try it anyway, I like breaking rules. Ficus will grow inside and are very forgiving, perfect for learning bonsai indoors. Ficus and local trees will probably be more enjoyable and not put you off from bonsai. Im only starting out too but from reading a lot for two years I think you will hear the same from those with more experiance. Look for ficus microcarpa or something other than f benjamina. Benjis are easy to care for but kinda hard to bonsai, not backbudding and big leaves are common gripes. Mine wont backbud at all so far. Others from your area should be able to help. Im a tropical dude so I hope this helps.. You might try jade and there are tropicals that grow well indoors besides ficus. With help from others and looking in nurseries you will find species that work. Enjoy bonsai, just know that it gets addictive. Quickly!

Top Bottom