Intro/noobicide

OrganicSeasonal

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hello, first time poster, and cool site. I'm a begginer to bonsai and have a few questions. I know about plants a little but never owned a bonsai till now... my questions are based on the photos I posted. The most important pieces of info about me are that I'm in zone 9a(Northern California), and that I try to be frugal and do things on my own to save money.

I wanted to know if my current/future bonsais will do well on that table at the entry to the side of my house. If this bonsai(I think a juniper) is a real bonsai, and if it has potential to become something. If that Italian stone pine is worth keeping(old Christmas tree). And most importantly, can any of you point out which Japanese black pine pre bonsai is worth getting that's currently on eBay auction or buy it now. If any of you ever have time to help me out I would appreciate it. Oh, I have some books, 180mm shears, 3 set of wire, 5 couple yr old Japanese black pine seedlings for the future on their way. Thank you all!!!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hello, first time poster, and cool site. I'm a begginer to bonsai and have a few questions. I know about plants a little but never owned a bonsai till now... my questions are based on the photos I posted. The most important pieces of info about me are that I'm in zone 9a(Northern California), and that I try to be frugal and do things on my own to save money.

I wanted to know if my current/future bonsais will do well on that table at the entry to the side of my house. If this bonsai(I think a juniper) is a real bonsai, and if it has potential to become something. If that Italian stone pine is worth keeping(old Christmas tree). And most importantly, can any of you point out which Japanese black pine pre bonsai is worth getting that's currently on eBay auction or buy it now. If any of you ever have time to help me out I would appreciate it. Oh, I have some books, 180mm shears, 3 set of wire, 5 couple yr old Japanese black pine seedlings for the future on their way. Thank you all!!!
If it is a shady spot... You could try some species that thrive in shady conditions...

@sorce you're a true poet dude.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Welcome to crazy hobby and sometimes hostile website. Strongly suggest getting with a nearby Bonsai group for early education. First thing to learn is how to keep plants alive in containers. MOST important lesson or all else is lost. Second thing is if you wish to develop any trunk size must put trees in bigger growing containers or ground and not small pots as you have;). Italian Stone Pine CAN be used as bonsai. Suggest site search and internet search for that info. Also suggest waiting on getting Jap black pine till more learned.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Noobicide! Great. Perfect description of what a beginner usually accomplishes in bonsai.
Welcome!
CW

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome!

Some great advice that I will echo: first and foremost, bonsai is about keeping trees alive. The stone pine isn't good material for bonsai, per se, but try to repot it and get it to live for a year :) You will find it is easier said than done - particularly transplanting pines and getting them to live after messing with their roots. Then once you have killed some trees, and learned how to keep others alive, you will be better prepared to start working with nicer material.

And try to find a club, and go to a bonsai convention and take some beginner workshops. Good times!

Like a stone pine tree
Your bonsai knowledge will grow
Your fun will grow too

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Plenty of good information on this site do some reading. Also, in case you don't know, bonsai are planted in an open granular soil and not potting soil, plenty about this subject on the forum. Welcome to a great hobby.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Welcome aboard!

The first thing I noticed is the types of plants you mentioned and show will all do their best if provided with a lot of Sun. The trick there is along with Sun you cannot let any of them dry out OR keep them soaked. Really not difficult, just takes a bit of time and observation and you will develop a good watering routine.

I would also recommend covering the surface roots of the Juniper with more substrate which can be uncovered a bit after they develop.

Grimmy

OrganicSeasonal

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ok thank you all for guidance. I do have some cash to throw around, I bought these japapanese black pine seedlings off eBay for $150. A 5 yr old seedling, and 4 7 yr old seedlings. They look good to me. I plan on up potting them to grow out into pre bonsai. For my official bonsai, I'm gonna head to Grove Way Bonsai Nursery in Hayward, ca(rave reviews). A bonsai to use for learning. I seem to be drawn to pines. I also painted and fitted a nice top to my plant table. ThAnk you all and wish me luck!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Welcome. Can you send some garlic? :)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Pines are awesome. They are probably the most rewarding if you master them... because they are the most difficult. One mistake on a pine can lead to a lifetime of heartache :)

Don't stop with the pines, but I would also recommend you get a beginner deciduous (Chinese Elm) and a beginner juniper (shipaku or similar). Pines are very difficult to make into convincing bonsai from the beginning if you don't know what you are doing, but you can get some pretty fast results with the two other options I recommend.

Grove Way is awesome. I highly recommend them. I bought a tree from them 25 years ago :)

Top Bottom