Sorce be like....

"WTF"

Leo be like....

"Here is everything you need to know!"

That's Gangster!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
@sorce

That is the problem with being able to remember half of what I read, if it is interesting to me, and having been fascinated with bonsai for over 40 years. I'm still not all that good at turning out a tree, but boy have I read a bunch of stuff and remember a good part of it, and I've grown a bunch of stuff and one way or another killed most of it. Of course there are the days my mind plays tricks and just makes up stuff, but that doesn't happen often, and I admit it as soon as I realize it has happened. I will say when a factoid is ''vague but true'' or ''vague and maybe not true''.

My other curse is I can type as fast as I talk. So some of my book length missives took me no more time to write than it would have taken to read it out loud. I spend more time proof reading what I wrote than I do writing the first draft.

Typing fast is the result of the curse of having to fill out forms for the nuclear regulatory commission, state highway departments and other agencies, during my working days. I had to learn to use all 8 fingers and both thumbs when typing on the 'puterator. (ASTM, CRC-D, AASHTO and a host of others) I was so glad that my sometimes miserable job in the chemical industry came to an end. I hate paperwork. Did you know that for 49 States, and Canada the material our sidewalks is made out of is listed as "concrete" in all their building codes and highway regulations. Guess what? Only West Virginia refers to the finished product that a sidewalk is made of as "cement". Everywhere else, the word cement, in formal building codes and highway specifications, the word cement refers to the fine gray powder, that when water and chemicals are added to it makes a paste that holds the sand and stone together, that when the hydration reaction is complete will become the product we call concrete.

I suppose the above is a building trades inside joke. You can spot the person who has had to work professionally with building codes and other regulations, they never mix up the difference between the use of the word cement and the word concrete.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Bostonbull don't let me tell you what to do, I'm just tossing in my personal experience. I spent years developing native pines that I eventually gave up on realizing I'll always be fighting them.
Pretty sure hop hornbeam is a lot like american hornbean (carpinus carolinia). which in my opinion is one of the greatest native bonsai species on the east coast.
And trees not in a container I call landscape haha. My backyard is very small so all my landscape gets treated like giant bonsai.
and lastly, the bigger the container the more protected a plant will be. you'll have to decide for yourself. You lose a zone or two (in hardiness) when you keep a tree in a pot. Trees like mugo pine, amur maple, and any larch are so cold hardy (zone 2ish) that i'll even leave them out all winter in a bonsai pot. Of course I have them on the ground next to a fence so they aren't totally exposed. But if you have a tree that's only hardy to zone 6 maybe even 5 I'd give it a little protection.

Bostonbull

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks guys! Appreciate the warm welcome and loads of info already.

@GGB what I meant was, I hear a lot of folks keep their trees that are in small Bonsai pots, in temperature regulated greenhouses so they don't get too cold. If I have some nursery stock in say 2 gallon containers, can I keep them on the north side of the house and they are safe? Or do they still need to be in a controlled environment?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks guys! Appreciate the warm welcome and loads of info already.

@GGB what I meant was, I hear a lot of folks keep their trees that are in small Bonsai pots, in temperature regulated greenhouses so they don't get too cold. If I have some nursery stock in say 2 gallon containers, can I keep them on the north side of the house and they are safe? Or do they still need to be in a controlled environment?
assuming whatever is in those 2 gallon containers are cold hardy to at least zone 5 leave em outside. If they are something a little more delicate I'd put em in an unheated garage. Totally depend on species. I'm very rough on my trees, I dont baby them because I don't want anything coming out of dormancy early and getting weak. For me, seedlings, fall collected material, and "delicate" trees (I'd dont own any) get indoor treatment. everything else deals with it. un;ess the soil is heavy and it's supposed to rain a ton. Or if temps get down past 15 F everything comes in the garage for a day or two, except larch.

Bostonbull

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No garage/shed/etc. I have a basement, but that stays high 40's to almost 50 most days (there's a furnace down there), otherwise its technically unheated.

Ill see what I acquire this spring from the nursery. Most likely an Azalea and maybe an Ostrya to begin this journey.

Bostonbull

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you know that for 49 States, and Canada the material our sidewalks is made out of is listed as "concrete" in all their building codes and highway regulations. Guess what? Only West Virginia refers to the finished product that a sidewalk is made of as "cement". Everywhere else, the word cement, in formal building codes and highway specifications, the word cement refers to the fine gray powder, that when water and chemicals are added to it makes a paste that holds the sand and stone together, that when the hydration reaction is complete will become the product we call concrete.
I know.... I see the words "bonsai" and "growing plants" mixed up all the time....

Bostonbull

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Attachments

• IMG_20190215_133602.jpg
    IMG_20190215_133602.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20190215_133638.jpg
    IMG_20190215_133638.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20190215_133629.jpg
    IMG_20190215_133629.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20190215_133619.jpg
    IMG_20190215_133619.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 9

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@sorce

That is the problem with being able to remember half of what I read, if it is interesting to me, and having been fascinated with bonsai for over 40 years. I'm still not all that good at turning out a tree, but boy have I read a bunch of stuff and remember a good part of it, and I've grown a bunch of stuff and one way or another killed most of it. Of course there are the days my mind plays tricks and just makes up stuff, but that doesn't happen often, and I admit it as soon as I realize it has happened. I will say when a factoid is ''vague but true'' or ''vague and maybe not true''.

My other curse is I can type as fast as I talk. So some of my book length missives took me no more time to write than it would have taken to read it out loud. I spend more time proof reading what I wrote than I do writing the first draft.

Typing fast is the result of the curse of having to fill out forms for the nuclear regulatory commission, state highway departments and other agencies, during my working days. I had to learn to use all 8 fingers and both thumbs when typing on the 'puterator. (ASTM, CRC-D, AASHTO and a host of others) I was so glad that my sometimes miserable job in the chemical industry came to an end. I hate paperwork. Did you know that for 49 States, and Canada the material our sidewalks is made out of is listed as "concrete" in all their building codes and highway regulations. Guess what? Only West Virginia refers to the finished product that a sidewalk is made of as "cement". Everywhere else, the word cement, in formal building codes and highway specifications, the word cement refers to the fine gray powder, that when water and chemicals are added to it makes a paste that holds the sand and stone together, that when the hydration reaction is complete will become the product we call concrete.

I suppose the above is a building trades inside joke. You can spot the person who has had to work professionally with building codes and other regulations, they never mix up the difference between the use of the word cement and the word concrete.
Now you’re speaking my language! That is a pet peeve of mine. My son loves the Spy School book series, and we read them at bedtime. The author calls every concrete structure “cement”. I edit it on the fly!
Just went through NRMCA certification last month. Probably going to put myself through ACI level 1 next.
3D93DF6F-A477-41FF-95C7-05325370FDF1.jpeg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Now you’re speaking my language! That is a pet peeve of mine. My son loves the Spy School book series, and we read them at bedtime. The author calls every concrete structure “cement”. I edit it on the fly!
Just went through NRMCA certification last month. Probably going to put myself through ACI level 1 next.
View attachment 227533
I just shuddered, Can taste a little vomit in my mouth. I am sooooo glad I'm retired.

Top Bottom