Intro

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm Ray, from Orange County. I'm new to the art of Bonsai. In fact, I literally bought my first two pre-bonsai earlier today! But doing my mandatory research, I have already caught the bug lol I very much look forward to building knowledge, and learning and developing my techniques, with the help of folks on the forum. Hope everyone is having a great day, or evening as it were :)

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome😊. Your area has some Bonsai pros and good clubs and will give better more consistent info than on here. Also likely mentorship available for asking. Be aware here are many different/conflicting opinions so joining club is best advice to offer. Come here to see trees/pictures but beware of know it alls.
Please add location to profile.

Reaction score
Hi! Thank you for taking the time to welcome me. Joining a club sounds like a great idea. I will start looking into it, though if you might recommend any particular clubs, or pros in my area, that would be great too! And thank you for the warning lol. I know that when caring for lifeforms there might be different approaches. I see that you are in Oregon, and I imagine that's a great place for Yamadori, if that's the correct term? Anyway, thanks again :)... oh, and I'll be sure to add my info
Cheers,
Ray

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site! Until a couple of years ago I lived in Laguna Hills. Lots of bonsai people - and nurseries - within an hour's drive of your location! Let me know what mistakes you are planning on making, and I will probably have already made them :)

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome! It can be fun to post photos of your trees, so feel free to post a pic of your new trees if you are so inclined. :)

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
welcome. junipers or azalea come to mind for that area for bonsai, and im sure many more thrive there

pines too

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As I look out at the frigid cold snow covered ground, the crunching frozen slush after an evening, and the snow piles growing in height along the drive….your Corona Del Mar, CA looks mighty fine.

Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Until a couple of years ago I lived in Laguna Hills. Lots of bonsai people - and nurseries - within an hour's drive of your location! Let me know what mistakes you are planning on making, and I will probably have already made them :)
Thank you for the warm welcome, it’s nice to be here! I would love to discover nurseries in the area, as well as bonsai people. Haha I will try to go by the book for now, but if I start getting adventurous, I’ll be sure to contact you first! ☺️

Reaction score
Welcome! It can be fun to post photos of your trees, so feel free to post a pic of your new trees if you are so inclined. :)
Hi, thanks for the kind welcome. I’ll add some pics soon as I can! So far just two humble pre bonsai though lol Still they are lovely 😊
Also wouldn’t mind seeing all your pics, or links to such a forum section...

Reaction score
Welcome aboard to Bonsai Nut!

Joining a club is an awesome idea for anyone new to the hobby. Here’s a link to Golden State Bonsai Federations (Golden State) SoCal clubs.

One should also know the nearest couple bonsai stores as they often offer classes that would be especially helpful.

Cheers
DSD sends
Thank you so very much. I will open the link first thing! That is invaluable, as might not have found it, I imagine...
The classes are a great idea, they are offered at the nursery I first bought from, but seem a bit costly. Maybe a club and the web are the better option for now? Also, would anyone care to recommend a good online course for a reasonable cost? If that might be worthwhile...
Many thanks 🙏

Reaction score
As I look out at the frigid cold snow covered ground, the crunching frozen slush after an evening, and the snow piles growing in height along the drive….your Corona Del Mar, CA looks mighty fine.
LMFAO! Guess what, strangely I am a bit jealous of you in Michigan! Missing winter snow, and even blizzard conditions covering the front door, as my early childhood was spent in Buffalo where I was born. If you have not been in a real Winter for a long time, you might be surprised how you miss it! Though my mother does say she feels like we died and came to Heaven 😆

Top Bottom