Introducing myself from Southern Ontario

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello bonsai nuts!
I'm excited to join this group where I can ask questions and find out more about my newest obsession.
I received a small tree last spring and have become obsessed ever since.
I have a few small trees that I grew outside all summer long, and having to bring them indoors has presented some issues that I'm learning to deal with. My portulacarias have been dropping leaves and I'm wondering if I'm not watering enough? I had them outside in the hot sun in the summer and I would let the soil become very dry before watering them and they grew like crazy. I have them in a south facing window alongside a ficus and BRT which are doing just fine so far.
Here's my little treasure of beginner bonsais and if anyone has thoughts or comments I'd love to hear from you.

Attachments

• IMG_0097 (1).JPG
    IMG_0097 (1).JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 43

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Afra looks way to wet. Inside, I water mine 1 time a week and just enough to moisten the soil. Outside, in mid summer, I would drench it every 2-3 days. What kind of soil do you have in your pot?

Other trees look good. Maybe think about some supplemental light?

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I had just watered before I took the picture so that’s understandable.
They are in a “bonsai soil mix” from a very respected bonsai supply shop here in Hamilton.
After I brought them indoors I was still letting them dry out before watering but that’s when the leaves started falling. Perhaps they do need more light.
I had thought about supplemental light but because my BRT is doing fine I figured I didn’t need it. I’m still considering it though.
Any thoughts on a, not too intrusive light?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If its just that plant, and you have a spare desk lamp somewhere, just get a 60w grow bulb. Seems to do well for mine and theyre not even in a full south facing window.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
It is normal for most trees to drop a fair percentage of leaves when brought indoors for the winter. As to Portulacaria, it is more probable that they get watered too often rather than not enough. They come from a fairly arid part of South Africa. They prefer drought to being wet.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in Alberta, and have some bougainvillea, ficus and olives. Most shed all of their leaves when brought in for the winter. These are quickly replaced by larger, leggier growth with long internodes. That’s with supplemental light. They still need to adjust after summer in full sun. I expect most tropical and subtropical trees do likewise.

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No it's a Brazilian Rain Tree. I took the picture in the evening. The leaves close up when it get's dark. The 5th pic is the same tree in the daytime.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tycoss when that growth gets leggy, do you trim it back the following spring?
I do. My plants are still in the development stage, and they usually switch growth to smaller more ramified twigging in spring. The leggy growth over winter helps thicken up branches, but is cut off once it’s done its job.

Top Bottom