Introducing myself to group

Bonsai & Bourbon

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm new to this site/group, but have had trees since 1990. I'm in Louisville, KY so deciduous trees are easier to manage. I go in and out of taking on new trees and projects. Day job is unrelated to horticulture, but have a greenish thumb. My friends are all used to the hobby, though most people think it's a little odd when they first learn. Probably not very different from most others interested in torturing trees in small pots. My recent interest is air layering and collecting from the wild to have thick trunked trees relatively quickly. I look forward to learning from the others on the site.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Welcome! My friends think my trees are "cute", lol. Spent a weekend in Louisville when my nephew did the Ironman competition, fun town.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Then again....

Not sure if that bottle is half empty....

Or half full!

Sorce

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome Aboard! Looking forward to seeing your work in the future!
cheers
DSD sends

barbard

Seed
Reaction score
Hi new to group and hoping to learn and give my experience where i can, which isn't in long bonsai terms, 10 years or so. Currently lots of projects and a few established bonsai, projects include, oaks, crab apples, and lots of different pines - pines from seed so may not see the fruits of my labour. Based in London, UK

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Also welcome aboard @barbard!
Just a hint: It really helps for members to post their approximate location and USDA equivalent zone on their profile (double click your icon to do so). That way folks can tailor advice to you and you may meet some new friends in your area!
Cheers
DSD sends

Bonsai & Bourbon

Seedling
Reaction score
Also welcome aboard @barbard!
Just a hint: It really helps for members to post their approximate location and USDA equivalent zone on their profile (double click your icon to do so). That way folks can tailor advice to you and you may meet some new friends in your area!
Cheers
DSD sends
I thought I had done that. Does it not show Louisville, KY?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So sorry! Your data looks great now.
That was a response to @barbard who jumped your thread. 😉

Thought you might enjoy this thread if you haven’t already perused it! @Bonsai Nut has lots of good stuff on air layering scattered about the site, but this is a good thread he wrote
M about four years ago.

Cheers
DSD sends

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome @Bonsai & Bourbon and @barbard!

In addition to the air-layering thread @Deep Sea Diver linked, if you are into pine bonsai from seed, be sure to check out our six-year black pine from seed contest. We are just past the halfway point!

Bruce Elliott

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hello, Bonsai & Bourbon! I hope you don't mind if I piggyback on your post, but I thought I would, while we're introducing ourselves. :)

I've had an account on this site for a while but have only just gotten around to actually using it. I'm looking forward to meeting people and learning from all the accumulated years of experience here. I'm in central Maryland, so my climate is fairly similar to yours.

I started working on bonsai while I was still in school, living in a third floor apartment, back in the early 1990s. At the time, my main resources were books, from which I learned a lot but not enough for me to keep my trees alive for more than a few years.

Fast-forward around twenty years, and I decided to start up the hobby again, now that I'm a bit more settled in my life and might have more success. That means that none of my trees have been in development for more than five years, and most for less. I'm hopeful that some of the first ones I started will start to look good soon, though. "Soon" being in bonsai time, of course. ;)

Top Bottom