Introduction and general inquiry of tree species

Tele

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi all,

Mostly I want to introduce myself.
I was interested 2 years ago in Bonsai and after some looking round I forgot about it for a while. When visiting primary schools I got 2 seeds that both grew and I restarted.

I suddenly remembered a branch I stuck in the ground 2 years back in a safe place and I collected it today (picture added). It has grown slightly weird, but it can probably be fixed with Bonsai skills I am yet to require.
It is now in a sieve of 80 cents in soil of 80% perlite and 20% potting soil. There is still some clay like soil on the rootbase that I did not dare remove.

Any hints and tips are highly appreciated and also it would be nice to know what tree it is (it could even be a plant that grew on the exact spot)

Regards,
Tele

Attachments

• day 1.JPG
    day 1.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 52

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No clue of the species...but I can say I personally did an experiment on ground growing verses pot. On a wisteria...this one by far thickened in ground than the one in the pot. Which finally got out into the ground...lost patience of it thickening.

Adding movement by loose wire...and chops helped my tree with movement it started as a straight sucker off the mother tree. I love the less care needed as well. My intentions are an air layer making this a twin trunk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 45

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When visiting primary schools

NEI :confused:.. (Where's the Grillin eye? I miss that one) not enough information!

So out of the three....

Are you the Monster from Sesame Street?
A public Speaker?
A Subsitute?

Welcome to Crazy!

It better be one of those 3! Lol!

Sorce

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
what tree it is
First impression is that it could be a fruit tree, apricot, plum. Maybe you can take a closer picture at the leaves.

You should also dig the plant a bit earlier next time, like when the tip of the buds is starting to come out otherwise you risk breaking the young roots, which are very delicate.

Tele

Yamadori
Reaction score
Already crucial advise! I put it inside and that was of course not smart. Ty AJM.
Added some profile information...
NEI :confused:.. (Where's the Grillin eye? I miss that one) not enough information!

So out of the three....

Are you the Monster from Sesame Street?
A public Speaker?
A Subsitute?

Welcome to Crazy!

It better be one of those 3! Lol!

Sorce
I was seeing the possibilities for my nearly 3 year old daughter. I guess that is allowed ;)

Better pictures incoming when it survives. It is looking sad now but I expected this

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Already crucial advise! I put it inside and that was of course not smart. Ty AJM.
Added some profile information...

I was seeing the possibilities for my nearly 3 year old daughter. I guess that is allowed ;)

Better pictures incoming when it survives. It is looking sad now but I expected this

Lol! Righteous!
You'll see my kids running around here from time to time!
My overprotective nature doesn't distinguish between suspicious text and actions!

Joking about it is meant to help excersize the brain. Keep us aware.

Soin I don't scare ye off!
Been on a people over trees kick lately, bit more social than tree. ....

The calm before the spring!

Happy First Spring of your New Life!

Sorce

Tele

Yamadori
Reaction score
Found the tree and it looks cute. Maybe with these pics anybody can tell me what it is.
I really like the tree. If my first attempt fails I try again.
IMG_4244.JPGIMG_4245.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With the pic of the full tree....

Might not be able to ID ...

But it sure looks like a good Bonsai Specimen!

Small leaves....sparse crown.

Do it!

Spain? Spain makes a difference!
@Starfox

Sorce

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hey Welcome!

I can't be sure but I think that is a Celtis Sinensis, if the seeds were small round berries it is probably a safe bet as they are a common street tree.
Also known as Chinese Hackberry.

Tele

Yamadori
Reaction score
But it sure looks like a good Bonsai Specimen!

Small leaves....sparse crown.

Do it!
That is what I was thinking
It was my first choice and it will be my first 25 year project ?

It is not a Celtis Sinensis I think but after seeing pictures I might try get it. Very nice tree!
I have room for a maximum of 6 trees. I want 3 Started fast and search 3 more for next year.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That is what I was thinking
It was my first choice and it will be my first 25 year project ?

It is not a Celtis Sinensis I think but after seeing pictures I might try get it. Very nice tree!
I have room for a maximum of 6 trees. I want 3 Started fast and search 3 more for next year.
Wish you luck...I am glad you have some space for trees. Myself I have a mental count nothing over 25...So I am inspired to tell you to embrace your hobby and...am curious of your area that allows you to house 6 trees. If we might be able to brain storm a better solution for a bench to allow more. "Always an enabler" I am. Possibly a photo of your area. We had some pretty creative apartment dwellers here that could offer you solutions to add more possibly.

Tele

Yamadori
Reaction score
Nothing much to show in pictures. It is a balcony of about 2.5 x 1 meters.
I have a big pot with room for 3 and I want to put 3 plants in sieves with loads of soils under for them to survive holidays and have room for roots and with that trunk growth.
Also I am thinking of buying some pre bonsai to have a quick start and train myself.

Tele

Yamadori
Reaction score
Some more advise needed... My seedling is growing superfast...
I don´t even know which seed it was but that made it more fun. Now I doubt if it is worthy of attention for future bonsai.
Should I cut the tip? I wanted to wait, but it can not even stand straight on its own.
IMG_4358.jpg

Top Bottom