Introduction... and I went shopping.

Mr. Square

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello folks.

I'm a complete newb regarding bonsai; fair warning. I'm 56, live in the Fresno CA area (9b) and have toyed with the idea of getting into bonsai many times over the years. Well my wife scoped out my internet history and bought me some tools and other items to get the party started. I have a great wife! Now I find much of my time is spent here reading.

I have been looking for material to play with, but nothing really spoke to me. Today I was at a largely defunct nursery and found the following items. I'll try to post pics below. If you see them then it worked, if not it didn't.

2x Ginkgo Biloba Tublform each about 6' tall
1x Japanese Maple (no idea what type) about 5' tall
1x Japanese Maple (?) about 4' tall
1x Taxus Cuspidata/Japanese Yew about 12" tall

No idea what I will do with any of themso, your input is welcome. If I've made poor choices, or chosen poor examples your input is appreciated.

I spent $140 for the entire lot.

Let the games begin.

Ginkgo "A" base

Ginkgo "B" base

Japanese Maple Base
01-02-2020 Japanese Maple.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Ginkgo's are great, and that is exactly how you get a ginkgo with a trunk larger in diameter than one's thumb, shop 6 foot tall trees to eventually create 2 foot tall bonsai. The 'Tubiformis' are a unique curled up to a tube looking leaf form cultivar of ginkgo. Not real popular for bonsai, though if you like the look of the foliage there is no reason not to use it. You will be cutting these low, at perhaps 8 or 12 inches to create your bonsai. Be aware, these are grafted trees. Your graft unions are about 4 to 6 inches above the soil. Ginkgo back buds well, buds that come from below the graft union will be "normal" foliage, the buds that come from above the union will be the curled up 'Tubiformis' type foliage. If you want the 'Tubiformis' you should remove all the 'normal type' foliage branches. If you'd actually prefer the normal foliage, then the low branches will be a great way to get the normal form foliage.

Mr. Square

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thank you each for the info and comments.

The ginkgos are intriguing. I'm a little concerned about to roots. I'm thinking I will have some work to do there. The height, I will have some work to do there. The shape, I will have work to there. In short, work to be done everywhere. My real quandary is, at what point of the year/season do I work on each of these? In what order? All at once? One dragon at a time?

The Large maple was in a tapered wooden box that was falling apart. It had maybe three to 4 inches of soil in it. The root ball looked healthy but was very small compared to the tree. I moved it to the plastic pot you see, out of necessity.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The ginkgos are intriguing. I'm a little concerned about to roots. I'm thinking I will have some work to do there. The height, I will have some work to do there. The shape, I will have work to there. In short, work to be done everywhere. My real quandary is, at what point of the year/season do I work on each of these? In what order? All at once? One dragon at a time?

I don't have specific answers to these questions, as I'm pretty new to this too. But I do know this (and I mean no offense!):
  • Pre-bonsai trees are rarely harmed by doing nothing (aside from watering, etc.).
  • Dead trees don't make good bonsai.
Research all of these questions you posed but don't sweat any of what work needs to be done until you're confident that it is worth undertaking and that it's the right time. Keeping these trees alive and learning the horticulture of bonsai, these species, your climate, your location-specific microclimate(s), when and how frequently you can fuss with the trees, etc. is the most important. It's a bit like learning the alphabet vs writing poetry or a novel.

I love those ginkgo roots!

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I don't have specific answers to these questions, as I'm pretty new to this too. But I do know this (and I mean no offense!):
  • Pre-bonsai trees are rarely harmed by doing nothing (aside from watering, etc.).
  • Dead trees don't make good bonsai.
Research all of these questions you posed but don't sweat any of what work needs to be done until you're confident that it is worth undertaking and that it's the right time. Keeping these trees alive and learning the horticulture of bonsai, these species, your climate, your location-specific microclimate(s), when and how frequently you can fuss with the trees, etc. is the most important. It's a bit like learning the alphabet vs writing poetry or a novel.

This is the best condensed advice you could get.

Also, resist the urge to DO something. It's HARD, I know, but you have to learn patience in this hobby.

One other thing. These trees have been happily living and growing in these containers for years. Unless they are in axle grease, there's no overpowering need to repot right away. Just water and feed them.

Mr. Square

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is the best condensed advice you could get.

Also, resist the urge to DO something. It's HARD, I know, but you have to learn patience in this hobby.

One other thing. These trees have been happily living and growing in these containers for years. Unless they are in axle grease, there's no overpowering need to repot right away. Just water and feed them.

The urge to do something, came and went.

I wanted to just chop the ginkgos then wait until spring to work the roots. I have thought better of this and I believe I'll wait until spring and air layer the top off of one, then maybe a simple repot to get it into something a little larger for the remainder of the year. The other may go in the ground for a couple of years.

The large JM will probably live where it is for 2020. The roots were quite sparse and at least one of the branches look questionable as to viability. I figured I would give it the year to establish itself and show me what I have to work with.

The yew and the little JM may go in the ground as well.

I'm sure other material will present itself in short order, but these items just seemed to be asking for a bit more preparation time.

Thnx to all for the responses.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dead trees don't make good bonsai.

I like this.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to string those words together, but I like it enough to add it to my signature. It's been a mantra/motto that I've adhered to pretty well. Keep us updated on these trees!

Mr. Square

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm sure I'm not the first person to string those words together, but I like it enough to add it to my signature. It's been a mantra/motto that I've adhered to pretty well. Keep us updated on these trees!

I was thinking that it should be emblazoned on a t-shirt. Maybe a fund raiser for the local club...

Boscology

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Nice!

My advice would be to find your closest bonsai club, it really helps to use a preexisting network of resources (Books, classes, teachers, help, cheaper materials, the right materials, advice).

The years Before I joined my local club that I attempted bonsai were mostly a waste with too much money spent on stuff that would never be good.

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Boscology is right on target: there's a club in Fresno so visit them and see what you can find. In the meantime I'd head out to a nursery and buy a few junipers, primarly ;procumens nana (Japanese Garden Juniper) I1gal or even 2 gallon size as their bullet proof and you can make quick looking bonsai that satisfies those urges. Books are your friends....get the simple ones first.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love the taller maple. But.. In my yard it would very soo loose the main leader at the three-way split!

Mr. Square

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Love the taller maple. But.. In my yard it would very soo loose the main leader at the three-way split!

That may be a direction I explore, but there are a couple of branches at the bottom that I'm not sure will green up. I'll let it sit for a while and see what it is really presenting me with.

bluesky

Mame
Reaction score
As above I would also chop that middle leader but first I would air layer somewhere midway up that part of the leader. I see another future bonsai up there...
An air layer can be done and finished during this year and you can have two excellent pre-bonsais for the price of one! JMs are wonderful as garden trees, patio pot plants, and beautiful bonsai. Enjoy the hobby! you won't regret it.

Top Bottom