Introduction to my trees

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score
Great !

Will be looking to see how you address the straight vs sinuous branching over time.

Also how the basal foliage gets treated to push the energy upwards to encourage the top hamper growth.

btw: There are some pretty sophisticated azalea folks on BNut. They always enjoy seeing folks taking on a challenge,

Cheers
DSD sends
Thank buddy , the first cut back I did left no foliage on bottom branches , sorry no pictures of that , will also address cross crossing branches at same time , got another 8 azaleas in different stages , will probably have to do separate threads on them , one was a huge bush left on side of road waiting to be picked up and thrown , it now is coming along beautifully with lovely white flowers , have done no styling on her at all

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 27

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
😎. It’s always good to have long term projects.

You are bolder than me. I usually leave some green on any branch I’m cutting back that I want to shorten this keep the sap flow going. Then once interior backbudding gets well established, push in more. Hasn’t failed yet.

Cheers
DSD sends

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score
😎. It’s always good to have long term projects.

You are bolder than me. I usually leave some green on any branch I’m cutting back that I want to shorten this keep the sap flow going. Then once interior backbudding gets well established, push in more. Hasn’t failed yet.

Cheers
DSD sends
I agree , I was scare I may lose the top many times , lots of dead wood taken from her , I was very nervous cutting all foliage of lower branches , my babies I bring on in big pots go into a bush of beautiful flowers , planted one lot last year with 8 or 10 £5 for two from Morrisons , they bushed this year , I cut them back to 6 to 8 inches two weeks ago , they leafing out searching all ready .
The azalea I cut back in pics is very healthy , I was worried but she came back beautifully and is in desperate need to thin out and snip right back to one or two , always give shelter and dappled light not strong , the old pot she was in sat lovely into plastic tray so humidity helped her , she was put together by many sprouts many years ago , the whole front of tree and branches took the brunt when she was not watered facing north not sheltered she started this new fase I. Her life , some might agree with how I took out the soft centre , some would say the tree feeds under correct conditions from this , the tree will be passed on after she has been styled , no one knows she be treated right , but she the strongest azalea under my care , I would hate to hurt her , so I understand your hesitancy 😎

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score
I agree , I was scare I may lose the top many times , lots of dead wood taken from her , I was very nervous cutting all foliage of lower branches , my babies I bring on in big pots go into a bush of beautiful flowers , planted one lot last year with 8 or 10 £5 for two from Morrisons , they bushed this year , I cut them back to 6 to 8 inches two weeks ago , they leafing out searching all ready .
The azalea I cut back in pics is very healthy , I was worried but she came back beautifully and is in desperate need to thin out and snip right back to one or two , always give shelter and dappled light not strong , the old pot she was in sat lovely into plastic tray so humidity helped her , she was put together by many sprouts many years ago , the whole front of tree and branches took the brunt when she was not watered facing north not sheltered she started this new fase I. Her life , some might agree with how I took out the soft centre , some would say the tree feeds under correct conditions from this , the tree will be passed on after she has been styled , no one knows she be treated right , but she the strongest azalea under my care , I would hate to hurt her , so I understand your hesitancy 😎
My apology, i snipped back to a leaf or branch most times , the bottom left corner is healthiest at minute and semi styled , the branch above needs thinning and wiring forward, above that the branch is dead along the front ,the cut back and move to tunnel needs to be done asap

Last edited:

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score
Great !

Will be looking to see how you address the straight vs sinuous branching over time.

Also how the basal foliage gets treated to push the energy upwards to encourage the top hamper growth.

btw: There are some pretty sophisticated azalea folks on BNut. They always enjoy seeing folks taking on a challenge,

Cheers
DSD sends
My spelling terrible and takes ages ish , ty 🙏

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score
Great !

Cheers
DSD sends
I’ll post what I am doing before hand, some that wish may suggest a thing or two , any advice/knowledge is always taken gladly , this is the first I have done like this with branches with dead veins , when I have her on table i think you will see the style we have picked together , the straight branches need to be shortened and foliaged , brought right back , your showing a second fase tree with a massive branch of foliage , she needs balance 😎

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ok this is the jwp on its own root , bit lanky , but got her back beginning of last year an she coming back in leaps and bounds , moral of this story , check up on trees you pass on , the trunk at base is 3.5” across
This tree came to my care about five yrs ago , stayed at friends for couple of yrs then I got her back , last year , she growing out this year in restricted soil , she will be nipped back following two years , the grafted pine is the next healthy girl I working with , gonna try a graft I have read about and what I see in her , all help/advice when I work her will be greatly appreciated 😎

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score
Sorry have found my post at last , just reading through , last post states I going to graft my jwp , I meant to say I will try air layer where it grafted to jbp root .
Other than that , not much been happening , so will take pics etc as I get around to her ,

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is picture showing a little of what she was like , cross crossing branches , very leggy and way way to wide , pics aren’t the best and from rear of tree bud gives some idea
Amazing nice base on Azalea. One suggestion please to get rid of false "Irish" moss growing in dead area of trees base. Insidious weed once established VERY hard to get rid of. Have been trying to eradicate for several years in pots on second floor deck. Seeds from tiny white flowers seem to last forever in stored dry soil🤬.

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score
Amazing nice base on Azalea. One suggestion please to get rid of false "Irish" moss growing in dead area of trees base. Insidious weed once established VERY hard to get rid of. Have been trying to eradicate for several years in pots on second floor deck. Seeds from tiny white flowers seem to last forever in stored dry soil🤬.
Cheers buddy, the Irish moss as you say is basically a weed , was placed on there as that area still had some live roots and want to protect so they could die back on there own accord , personally I prefer the Irish moss as it not as dense as some moss so letting roots breath more easily , if I am wrong please someone do tell me , but ty for pointing that out buddy

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry have found my post at last , just reading through , last post states I going to graft my jwp , I meant to say I will try air layer where it grafted to jbp root .
Other than that , not much been happening , so will take pics etc as I get around to her ,
Is even possible to air layer Black or White pine that big? It requires girdling bark and fear you will kill tree🤔.

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score
Is even possible to air layer Black or White pine that big? It requires girdling bark and fear you will kill tree🤔.
I know it’s gonna be a risky project , but it could well be more risky if I do nothing and she continues to out grow the black pine , I have read a few account of the pine dying due to this , if that was not the case I would carve a rock out and place in there or some dead wood or 🤔 , so fingers crossed I do get it right 🤞

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
The satsuki I bought about 5 yrs ago , it had been neglected and a vein right through had died , last year I scraped all wood out and will now transplant to wooden planter to fill her out a bit ,
Second one is jwp on jbp, I bought two years ago as a gamble , but as you can see she very healthy , the jwp graft has overtaken the jbp root so will be working on this very soon and all suggestions will be appreciated,
The last one is a jwp on its own root , got that back last year and she is coming back to life well and is starting to back bud well , will pinch next years needles to aid this
Forgot to say I live on Isle of Wight uk , and climate is mildest in uk , 🤔 I think lol

The Satsuki is awesome with that shari, didn’t even know I can do that to them. You make me want to put more love into my azalea

Top Bottom