Introduction to my trees

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score
Agree these are very nice, old trees. Thanks for sharing the pics and some info so far.

I always like to hear some of the history behind older trees. Knowing how old and how they were developed can give us clues as to how to develop our trees. I note you purchased at least one and guess all 3 but if you know any of the history that would also be great to hear.

The world is a big place and conditions vary hugely from one end to the other. It helps others to understand what works well where if members add a location to their profile so we can make some guesses about the climate and conditions that have influenced the bonsai you post. Adding location to your personal profile saves us searching back through threads to find that info hidden in one post.
Hi
Added what I think is needed , photos aren’t perfect but better than others I posted , any questions fire away , and ty for your input

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'll start by saying I don't know much about grafted trees. I know you mentioned you were going to start working on that JBP/JWP tree, is there anything you can do to address that bulge trunk?

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi
I think I will layer her over couple of yrs but advise is always helpful , one was shape volcanic rock around trunk and moss it , another was create a cliff landscape and have her growing up rock ( I liked that idea best ) but then heard that if left the jwp could die if left

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome Aboard BonsaiNut!

Good to see you on the forum. That’s the first azalea I’ve seen with a believable Shari.

Looks like its neglect turned out to be a real gain. 😉

cheers
DSD sends

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score

Good to see you on the forum. That’s the first azalea I’ve seen with a believable Shari.

cheers
DSD sends
Your right , I think the guy who had her before went away for while an caretaker never took care , but it is now in second fase , she so strong and bless her she taught me a lot

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Design advice is tricky in 2d but the azalea looks as if it's leaning away? Hard to tell for sure. It's also got a little pom pom thing going on. I might be tempted to rotate it clockwise to show off the widest base and then lose everything above the 1st branch. I think it could make a dramatic, slanting style tree that way. Just my opinion and take with a grain of salt.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Nice collection and I love that azalea, does your wife always fold her blanket right behind your bonsai? 😂 😂 😂

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dunno about placement, that’s your call as you are on scene.

However, just my observation, I would push in at least the bottom three or more branches growth after blooming and a little on the rest. I definitely would want the top couple branches to pull more energy and get stronger.

cheers
DSD sends

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score
Design advice is tricky in 2d but the azalea looks as if it's leaning away? Hard to tell for sure. It's also got a little pom pom thing going on. I might be tempted to rotate it clockwise to show off the widest base and then lose everything above the 1st branch. I think it could make a dramatic, slanting style tree that way. Just my opinion and take with a grain of salt.
She started leaning towards end of last summer , I blame it on me for adding erracatious soil to the kanuma , she ate her way over , and came out on top all that side , once I’ve cleaned her off before repot will take some more pics ,
I haven’t thinned out in last two months , a lot is up to her how she goes as is husbandry , I need to take a vein from her that had little life last year when scalped , I will stop her going lanky , and will aid her as needed , but most will be up to her , ty

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score
Dunno about placement, that’s your call as you are on scene.

However, just my observation, I would push in at least the bottom three or more branches growth after blooming and a little on the rest. I definitely would want the top couple branches to pull more energy and get stronger.

cheers
DSD sends
The top has no shape at minute , I cleared 99% of her buds to take a little stress off , but she still kept a few bless her , I will be clipping and feeding where needed , slow release feed and miracle grow help , I will try not overload her and stress her as little as possible, ty

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score
Nice collection and I love that azalea, does your wife always fold her blanket right behind your bonsai? 😂 😂 😂
No wife , lol , 99% of all the trees I have now are basket cases being given another chance , large bonsai and varying trees and shrubs in different stages , I think I can find pics on azalea before I opened her up , one person had done two knots but left all the rot so hence why I opened her up , she also came out a good six inches wider than she is now , and lowest branch on right side , I had wired the large branch which came off back of the branch you see and a lovely rook decided to perch on it and there extra weight just snapped her , was going to attempt to put her back but then I decided to leave couple inches on till after repot , then if I decided to graft on I still can but don’t think I will , will take pics showing what I mean when I pot her up 👍

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Love that azalea trunk and shari. Both curves and hollowed shari look so natural. I think the straight branches is what lets it down most. They just don't fit with the sinuous trunk. Not unusual because most of us who get hold of a great trunk want to grow branches out to size fast and don't realize the consequences.
Bare sections obviously don't help hide any of it either but It would be a brave grower who chopped those short to start again.

Pity about the swollen graft on your pine. They don't always do that but potential is always there.
A couple of dead lower branches on that one. Do you have any ideas on what happened to those?

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score
Love that azalea trunk and shari. Both curves and hollowed shari look so natural. I think the straight branches is what lets it down most. They just don't fit with the sinuous trunk. Not unusual because most of us who get hold of a great trunk want to grow branches out to size fast and don't realize the consequences.
Bare sections obviously don't help hide any of it either but It would be a brave grower who chopped those short to start again.

Pity about the swollen graft on your pine. They don't always do that but potential is always there.
A couple of dead lower branches on that one. Do you have any ideas on what happened to those?
Your right about straight branches , I have cut her back a lot so far , gonna find pics of how she used to be , benn taking of a branch here and there , the pics can be a little deceiving , but ty yes a complete restyle may be on hmmmm
The grafted pine was I think imported from Japan in the 80s by herons in uk , I have no other info on her , when I got her two year ish ago , her needles where thinned right out and very yellow , took a chance , the guy before hardly fed her , kept her dormant for while , other than pot an lush Green healthy foliage she exactly as I got her ,

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score
This is picture showing a little of what she was like , cross crossing branches , very leggy and way way to wide , pics aren’t the best and from rear of tree bud gives some idea

Attachments

• D50F556D-8020-4442-96E7-09252694F30E.jpeg
    D50F556D-8020-4442-96E7-09252694F30E.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 53
  • 0D579818-739C-43A8-9FE1-FD5B3334188C.jpeg
    0D579818-739C-43A8-9FE1-FD5B3334188C.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 53

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score

cheers
DSD sends

cheers
DSD sends
Totally agree , but I had to take the rotten vein out else it would have kept going an kill her off , as said , the vein was cut out with knife , nothing fancy , , I have transplanted into wooden pot using kanuma for substrate , I will take a picture before cutting and wiring , hopefully a mate who has lots of grow tunnels will house her for couple of yrs fingers crossed , then I will be working on grafted jwp

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score
She started leaning towards end of last summer , I blame it on me for adding erracatious soil to the kanuma , she ate her way over , and came out on top all that side , once I’ve cleaned her off before repot will take some more pics ,
I haven’t thinned out in last two months , a lot is up to her how she goes as is husbandry , I need to take a vein from her that had little life last year when scalped , I will stop her going lanky , and will aid her as needed , but most will be up to her , ty
Sorry was meant to say the whole tree leant back last year in pot , have got her planted in wooden pot now with kanuma , will take couple more pics , on my own so please forgive if not to clear

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 34

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ok this shows the natural lean back of the tree , the bottom left branch will have all foliage cut right back and another couple of inches off how far it comes out , it was mentioned that the branches look very straight , when I can take better pics an show how I am styling her it will hopefully compliment the azaleas trunk curves and the curved foliage I am dressing , will get some better pics soon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 36

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score
Forgot to say for those that don’t know , azaleas are basily dominant (dominant from base ) , this azalea is very healthy so anoth good trim back and wire of bottom branches will help ramify/ encourage top to grow , fingers crossed I can get her in tunnel to stop my wild birds snapping all new growth lol

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great !

Will be looking to see how you address the straight vs sinuous branching over time.

Also how the basal foliage gets treated to push the energy upwards to encourage the top hamper growth.

btw: There are some pretty sophisticated azalea folks on BNut. They always enjoy seeing folks taking on a challenge,

Cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom