Invasive Species as Bonsai

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Leo in N E Illinois Thats logical to me and I certainly think it’s overall better to collect than let remain in the wild - when selecting which ones are worth taking as yamadori though I think it’d be best to view it as “collect or kill” rather than “collect or leave” time and effort permitting. But that’s enough pontificating from a newbie who has no collection experience of his own 😬😂

Yes, when we've worked with parks people, we agreed to dig what we find, then keep what we want.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I go to a park that has large mature Chinese elms. And there are now good sized ones scattered along the tree line that grew from seed. I was thinking of getting in contact with the city and working my way down to whoever to see if I could remove them. I think that would be classified as removing an invasive specie. I was thinking of using that to better my odds.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes, when we've worked with parks people, we agreed to dig what we find, then keep what we want.
Same thing here... It got to the point where WHEN I'd call the parks/property managers OR Warden David.. my response was "Yeah, yeah, whatever! You know what to do."

🤣

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Burning bush is also considered invasive some places and those have been used for bonsai

Top Bottom