Inverse Trunk Juniper

Matthew Rudling

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My parents bought me a juniper bonsai. It needs a fair bit of work from what I can see. Unfortunately, that involves an inverse taper. Would planting the tree in a bigger pot help to thicken up the lower portion of the trunk which has the inverse taper? Would I need to get a branch growing lower down? Or chop to the lowest branch as advised here for a Maple: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/trident-maple-inverse-taper-help.48984/.Photo 2021-09-15, 18 12 38.jpg

Attachments

• Photo 2021-09-15, 18 11 57.jpg
    Photo 2021-09-15, 18 11 57.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 10
  • Photo 2021-09-15, 18 12 21.jpg
    Photo 2021-09-15, 18 12 21.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think you could just let it grow in a bigger pot for a while. It should thicken up more at the bottom especially if you can get some root spread, but if it's still inversed you could air layer right above the skinnier bottom and start with a fresh new fat nebari.

Matthew Rudling

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you. I decided to re-wire the whole tree and pot it into a large 3 gallon or so container. I also removed a few branches which were likely contributing to the inverse taper. I will come back to this in a year or two and hopefully, I will have some taper!

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you. I decided to re-wire the whole tree and pot it into a large 3 gallon or so container. I also removed a few branches which were likely contributing to the inverse taper. I will come back to this in a year or two and hopefully, I will have some taper!
Sorry I didn't get to respond to your other post on this yesterday. I was going to respond, then you said you were going to post this thread ...and I couldn't find it.

The fix to this inverse taper issue (as the tree exits the ground) is to allow unrestrained growth of the top branch(es). In particular, wire the top branch so that it points up and let it grow. Make sure the tree is completely immobile in the pot, give it plenty of sunlight (full, 8+ hours daily if you have it), water it well when it needs it, and fertilize regularly. This will completely transform the tree, resolve the taper issue, and give you loads of possibilities.

None of the branching that's currently pictured was causing the inverse taper at the base so removing it just slowed the process down. It's just an anomaly of how young trees sometimes grow.

Matthew Rudling

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry I didn't get to respond to your other post on this yesterday. I was going to respond, then you said you were going to post this thread ...and I couldn't find it.

The fix to this inverse taper issue (as the tree exits the ground) is to allow unrestrained growth of the top branch(es). In particular, wire the top branch so that it points up and let it grow. Make sure the tree is completely immobile in the pot, give it plenty of sunlight (full, 8+ hours daily if you have it), water it well when it needs it, and fertilize regularly. This will completely transform the tree, resolve the taper issue, and give you loads of possibilities.

None of the branching that's currently pictured was causing the inverse taper at the base so removing it just slowed the process down. It's just an anomaly of how young trees sometimes grow.
Thank you for the advice nonetheless. The removal of the second branch from the bottom - right side - encouraged me to just rewire the whole design of the tree. I more or less wired the apex branches to face upwards as seen in the photo. Are junipers good with rewiring further down the line?Photo 2021-09-16, 17 37 14.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Lightly, you have taken a tree with inverse taper little enough to go unrecognized, and completely inversed it's path.

Nothing can fix anything fast, and nothing broke will be fixed fast, so letting it be is always best.

IMO, these "cinched waist" trees usually come about because of compacted soil at some point in it's life.

Though it is true that taper, in it's extreme form to create a pleasing image, is the only thing that doesn't just happen, if you let a tree be, without these cinching restraints, they will naturally grow with their own taper.

Removing branches, or letting them grow, will never correct this basal inverse taper alone, as, even if you believe that each root on some trees, specifically juniper, are connected to a branch, the growth is still more or less uniform, which means you will only ever see the inverse taper remain in the same proportions, only larger.

I don't think juniper has the greatest ability to swell a base with root growth as a maple does, but this is still a requirement to correct the inverse taper at the base, it may just take longer.

So now this will take even longer.

Not to discourage.

I think this things best potential currently, is chopping it to the first branch.

But not soon.

Not before you have "too many trees".

Sorce

Matthew Rudling

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Lightly, you have taken a tree with inverse taper little enough to go unrecognized, and completely inversed it's path.

Nothing can fix anything fast, and nothing broke will be fixed fast, so letting it be is always best.

IMO, these "cinched waist" trees usually come about because of compacted soil at some point in it's life.

Though it is true that taper, in it's extreme form to create a pleasing image, is the only thing that doesn't just happen, if you let a tree be, without these cinching restraints, they will naturally grow with their own taper.

Removing branches, or letting them grow, will never correct this basal inverse taper alone, as, even if you believe that each root on some trees, specifically juniper, are connected to a branch, the growth is still more or less uniform, which means you will only ever see the inverse taper remain in the same proportions, only larger.

I don't think juniper has the greatest ability to swell a base with root growth as a maple does, but this is still a requirement to correct the inverse taper at the base, it may just take longer.

So now this will take even longer.

Not to discourage.

I think this things best potential currently, is chopping it to the first branch.

But not soon.

Not before you have "too many trees".

Sorce
The taper is rather noticeable when looked at with the naked eye.

I plan to let it grow wild now and revisit when it’s roots have filled the pot. Perhaps chop the trunk and restart.

Top Bottom