Iowa State Fair Bonsai Show

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Iowa State Fair Bonsai Show, held in the Agriculture Building on the fairgrounds, is a one day only event. This year it was held yesterday, August 16th. Although some major players in the Iowa Bonsai Association were absent, attending other shows like the Chicago event, over 30 trees were on display. Members of the Iowa Bonsai Association were the primary sources for the trees on view, though anyone in the state can display bonsai.

The trees I photographed were those that interested me, so what you will see is a selection. Ron Heinen won a slew of ribbons as he usually does. Here are his trees:

DSC02460.jpg DSC02464.jpg DSC02466.jpg DSC02470.jpg DSC02472.jpg DSC02476.jpg DSC02460.jpg DSC02464.jpg DSC02466.jpg DSC02470.jpg DSC02472.jpg DSC02476.jpg

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I should mention that the first of Ron's trees, a white pine, was the overall champion bonsai. Congratulations, Ron!

Ivan Hanthorn is very active in the Iowa Bonsai Association. This tree, a cork bark Japanese black pine, was not the highest placed tree Ivan showed, but it interested me because though quite small, it had very large, identifiable wings proportionately. As with all of Ivan's trees, it was well done and carefully maintained.DSC02492.jpgDSC02494.jpg

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ahh I see one of Brents stock trees!

Very nice.

I find the bright blue pot an odd combination for the corticosa, was that on purpose is it a training pot?

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One other person has made that comment. I bought that pot on purpose because at the time, it was the only one I could afford that was deep enough. The pot is 5" deep. The color and the bright glaze don't bother me. Eventually, I'll probably change it out when I find a container that works better.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Fred,

Your trees are very nice and I like the blue pot. Thanks for the photos.

Augustine

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wonderful to see your trees in display mode. That Black pine of yours is looking quite nice!
That white pine of Ron's is nice as well, thanks for sharing these. Guess I'll have to post some from our club show now...

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Fred,

Wasn't there some political thing going on there as well this year? :rolleyes: I really like your trees; especially the Corticosa. Congrats on the three Reds.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for giving us some trees to look at. It was well worth it. Some very nice trees and displayed well. A nice change from seeing that damn black helicopter with TRUMP on the tail.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Congrats on your ribbons Fred, and thanks for sharing those photos. There's actually 2 of Brent's elms there, yes?

Ron and I go way back to about 1995. We used to work in his garage every Sunday afternoon, so I know may of those trees very well. Now that I live in AL, we try to get out west collecting every other year, or at least a visit here or there.

Ron reads here, but never posts. I guess since he retired he doesn't think he has to type. I try to goad him into posting but usually to no avail. Here's a little more Intel on those trees.

JWP, he wanted it in a better pot, but wasn't about to slip-pot it just for this show. It needs a few more years to round out. It came from Gary Wood and he's had it for about 10 years now. They grow so slowly!
image.jpg
This one is an American Elm, named the "Beaver Elm". He's had it longer than I've known him, collected it around '92, and it's been in various inclinations, upright, to full cascade, to a semi. Nice leaf reduction, really aged bark out to secondaries. Nice in the winter. This tree is old. Like its owner. (See, I try)...
image.jpg
He's had this mulberry about as long. I have paper photos of this tree going back 20 years now. A big carving project, and his second of 2 mulberries. The first had better trunk movement, this one has a better base. And better berries! This is about the best looking crown I've seen it display. He went through a phase of very craggy downward-jagged branches, to which the mulberry complied, but this is a much more relaxed version.
image.jpg

This is a green island ficus, I actually bought it from Don 5-6 years ago, and decided it was too big to winter in the house. Ron's buddy bought it from me, and somehow, Ron ended up with it. Probably for free, knowing him...so I call it the one I basically gave him. On the tree thread, Don posted the tree from which this was layered.
image.jpg

And finally, this yew, came from in front of an old farm house where the yew appears in photographs taken over 100 years ago. He took this to the same Ben Oki workshop where I did my azalea. As an art teacher, he already had it all sketched out how he wanted it to look, and Mr. Oki agreed completely and let him have at it.
image.jpg

One more, which I thought would be best of show, a ficus retusa. I have known this tree for 20 years too. I have a paper photo of that first left branch as a little sucker coming off the trunk! It's among my favorite trees he owns.
image.jpg

Ron did I miss anything? :p
Definitely...definitely...definitely...

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brian: Thanks for filling in the info. You know far more than I do about Ron's trees. Interesting background on all of them.

Vin: Yes, everybody running for President is in town now, and will be, off and on, until the Caucuses. Aside from the fact that you can run into a candidate anytime anywhere here, what really affects us is that the phone calls asking for money started about 2 months ago, and will continue until the election. We've gotten as many as 7 calls a day, a few after 11pm. Of course, we have Caller ID--you just never pick up the phone when the ID is "unknown," or "service," or anything you don't recognize as a number from your friends and family. Lately, they've figured this stuff out, so I've gotten calls from "Lorna," my wife, with her cell phone number, and it turns out to be some political organization...

Reactions: Vin

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And Brian: Yes, I have two of Brent's elms, a Corticosa and a Yatsubusa. Thanks!

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Lately, they've figured this stuff out, so I've gotten calls from "Lorna," my wife, with her cell phone number, and it turns out to be some political organization...

ZOMG!

That's stalkerish. I already have a rule that I will not vote for anyone who calls my house after 9 pm, even if I agree with them 100% politically and their platform is founded upon passing laws that will triple my income. If someone had a program that identity thieved my wife's cell phone just to get me to answer the phone, I not only would not vote for them, I'd probably send $50 to their main rival just on principle.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice pics Fred. And you should be proud of your trees.

Any indication which of the Republican candidates attended and appreciated the bonsai exhibit? I'm a single issue voter and bonsai is my issue! :)

CW

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think a single candidate went through. I was there most of the day...oh well. The day wasn't lost. I had a great time with my friends.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Fred
Wow ,
Can't even imagine the thrill if one of my trees won an event at my State Fair .

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, qwade and quietobserver. Of course, it's fun to win, but I know from this competition and other experiences that I learn a lot more when I lose. So far, the Best in Show blue ribbon has eluded me. For now, that honor belongs to Ron Heinen. As for me, I'm still learning and still loving the fight.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
BIG congrats Fred!! I am thrilled for you. Loving that black pine! You learn from your failures but you also can learn a heck of a lot from your successes ;)

Also congratulations to Ron! His trees no doubt are accomplished and beautiful!

Top Bottom