Iron fertilizer?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This year I have seen across the board deficiencies, leading to yellowing, with only the veigns of leaves darker green.
I thought it was due to the ground water I was using. However, for the last 2+ months is has been raining well, and that should have solved the matter. It hasn't. I have found some powdered iron / sulphur fertilizer, which I could imagine could help.

Does anyone add Iron to their plants to counter chlorosis?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I really depend on iron and calcium and magnesium.CalMag suppliment.
Iron is chlorophyl important and photosynthesis.
In mineral fertilization (hydro) I ph the water because iron starts to become unnavailable at 6.5 and above.
In organic soils it is better to have microbes to break down ferts as the soil is a natural buffer and is hard to change.,Though there is a proper ph range for soil too.
Another consideration in mineral feed is hardness of water. If ec of water is already a couple hundred ppm,than your mineral fert has to compete with crowded paths to get into plant and can make fertilizers too strong also.Especially in young plant production.And if you pull in the reigns it ends up being too weak with deficiencies.
Something I have encountered in the past.

maybe try and collect some rain......RO water is great ,I am going to use it,but seems wasteful as you cannot keep 100% of the water.

Last edited:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I use something called Pokon Groenhersteller.
It contains every trace element a plant needs, including iron.
This is my go-to stuff to both combat and diagnose chlorotic issues; if a foliar spray application doesn't improve the color, then the cause of the yellowing is probably drowned roots.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When if ever is there too much iron in a direct soil? ...in a pot.. in ANY soil not the ground/field dirt...not an anvil...?

Does a plant take in iron as it needs it, or is there a chemical reaction where it becomes too much?

There is a lot of limestone (potential for higher pH/clay (red)) in the ground around here.

Loss of chlorophyll....

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
maybe try and collect some rain..
Yeah, one of the problems. Been busy, and forgot to empty my old wooden rain barrels which froze over winter, leaving me with previously 1200l / 300G water storage to now none. Combine that with one of the driest & hottest years on record and my watering has changed a bit. Been discussing getting a few 1000l / 250G water tanks. But living in densely built Europe my garden is on the small side and my wife is less enthusiast about a bunch of plastic containers in the garden :)

Does a plant take in iron as it needs it, or is there a chemical reaction where it becomes too much?
Looks like there can be too much iron too, but seems rare.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use rusty things.

Sorce

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, one of the problems. Been busy, and forgot to empty my old wooden rain barrels which froze over winter, leaving me with previously 1200l / 300G water storage to now none. Combine that with one of the driest & hottest years on record and my watering has changed a bit. Been discussing getting a few 1000l / 250G water tanks. But living in densely built Europe my garden is on the small side and my wife is less enthusiast about a bunch of plastic containers in the garden :)

Looks like there can be too much iron too, but seems rare.
Interesting read/intel. This would suggest you would need a lot of iron to cause a problem, and the iron sensitive plants listed are herbaceous or not bonsai.

Rather than or in tandem with adjusting water, or continuous application of an iron fertilizer, an alternative could be adjusting soil or literally adding iron?

Pine bark or such can help lower pH. I have also put nails and even raw iron bars in/on my soil. I have not observed adverse reactions to this application. A not so sharp or heavy alternative I may try in the future is steel washers.

Manganese is readily attached to iron as well, and especially in stainless steel (hit some stainless washers on a board with and an electric sander?).

The competitive nature of manganese and iron brought up in the article is food for thought.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use Ironite, crushed oyster shells, and Epsom salts as a combo to battle chlorosis and nutrient deficiency. I apply this fairly universally and without really measuring. Trees of a more pale color get a bit extra.

I’m certain this has made a difference.

Top Bottom