Is always a complete wiring mandatory?

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I was wiring just the apex of a cascade JRP, and one of the guys around (Japanese) said "you have to wire the whole tree, even if it doesn't need it. If you wire only a couple of branches, the chance the whole tree stops growing trying to heal those branches are great; and the chance that only those wired branches die back is also greater, because the tree "decides" they are not worth the effort."
Does it make any sense?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, or you will be severely punished!!! :p

I think yes in the early refinement of the tree. As time goes on the branches close to the trunk are set and too thick/stiff to bend, so they aren't wired any longer - just out toward the ends to place the foliage.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yes, but the question here is: do I have to wire the whole tree even if I am in need to bend just a couple of branches?
I suppose there are a couple of people that might tell you that but I see no reason as long as the un-wired branches are OK and not just obviously neglected.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I suppose there are a couple of people that might tell you that but I see no reason as long as the un-wired branches are OK and not just obviously neglected.
Thanks, that's my reasoning also when wiring just a few branches; but after hearing what my friend had to say, I was in doubt about that.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
I may be looking at this from an uneducated perspective of a less experienced bonsai practitioner, but..... how would the tree know what parts are wired and which aren't?

Sure if you're wiring to the point of strangulation I can see that kinda like the wire technique to do air layers, but I've always understood wiring to just be a way to hold the section in place until it sets that way.

I know that on conifers its actually preferred to let the wire bite in a little to encourage the setting of that area, but even then I'd think the tree would just send more resources to that area in an attempt to "heal" the section instead of just abandoning it.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks, that's my reasoning also when wiring just a few branches; but after hearing what my friend had to say, I was in doubt about that.
Maybe your fiend is wrong. Reasonableness seems to suggest that this is not necessary and that to wire the entire tree for the sake of one or two branches is nothing more than putting a tuxedo on a pig.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe your fiend is wrong. Reasonableness seems to suggest that this is not necessary and that to wire the entire tree for the sake of one or two branches is nothing more than putting a tuxedo on a pig.
Vance, you are morphing into Yogi Berra! :cool:

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sounds like some Japanese wive’s tale, lol. That doesn’t seem legit to me. If your branches are dying it’s because you wired wrong or didn’t provide the right kind of aftercare, not because you didn’t slap wire on some other branch you’re not even bending for no apparent reason. Right?

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, I think the reasoning goes to the fact that after wiring and bending, a lot of fissures will be on the wired branches.
And they must heal somehow.

Sure, but if you’re not even bending the other branches, then it doesn’t matter if you placed wire on them or not. Just a waste of good copper IMHO. ?

Lynn E

Mame
Reaction score
Here's my experience-- Japanese white pine. An old import grafted on JBP. I wired 10 or 11 of the lowest branches to move them lower; let in some light. The tree began to abandon those lower branches in early spring and currently all of the wired branches are dead. Rest of the tree is fine. Never again.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's my experience-- Japanese white pine. An old import grafted on JBP. I wired 10 or 11 of the lowest branches to move them lower; let in some light. The tree began to abandon those lower branches in early spring and currently all of the wired branches are dead. Rest of the tree is fine. Never again.

Never again what? I've done selective wiring on lots of trees and never lost branches because of it. Were the branches weak to begin with, lowering them might have made them even weaker. Did you break them, bend too much, lots of variables could be involved.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
The tree began to abandon those lower branches in early spring and currently all of the wired branches are dead. Rest of the tree is fine. Never again.
Ahhh, then he was not so wrong after all!
Interesting hearing your experience, @Lynn E !

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score

Could this be something that is specific to pines only? Would you recommend wiring the entire tree just to accommodate 1 or 2 branches?

Well, I think the reasoning goes to the fact that after wiring and bending, a lot of fissures will be on the wired branches.
And they must heal somehow.

Would this not be similar to a windswept tree in the wild???

Top Bottom