Is Bonsai an Expensive Hobby?

KKBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's really as expensive as you'd like it to be. You can get a few decent trees, in a decent pot and just have with them. But if you plan on showing, travelling, attending work shop, collecting proper bonsai + tools then yes.

It all depends on how far you want to go. In the beginning, since I didn't know anything....I was some money on buying crappy nursery stock, thinking I'm doing Bonsai. Since then I have decided to invest in a decent tree and just enjoy them. I don't plan on letting Bonsai take over my life. I just find the whole concept very interesting, and I'd like to be part of it.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Honestly the most expensive part for me has been yamadori collecting. Once you include tools, gas, hotel, time, trips with no appropriate trees found, aftercare, etc they became the most expensive trees I owned. Much cheaper to access local landscaping or road work sites (with permission).

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
As @Adair M always says "it depends". Most start out with lots of cheap stuff, like I did, to get a taste of the hobby. I'm trying to add a few nicer trees, just buying less. And I like pretty pots....... Besides we haven't been able to go anywhere/do anything since March so I'm sure I've saved $ just getting bonsai stuff. ;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it pays for itself, it's still expensive, it just doesn't seem like it.

Any component can be expensive AF or Free.

Sorce

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Honestly the most expensive part for me has been yamadori collecting. Once you include tools, gas, hotel, time, trips with no appropriate trees found, aftercare, etc they became the most expensive trees I owned. Much cheaper to access local landscaping or road work sites (with permission).

And for me this is the cheapest way because I live just far enough out in the sticks that a 30 minute drive is the most it takes to get somewhere I can hunt for trees. I find pots where I can, or just poke drainage holes in old buckets. Find things that look like proper pots at yard sales, or stash away fancy looking tins or whatnot. Half my dead trees have been due to experimenting with soil mixes I don't have to pay for because I'm digging substrate out of creek beds or wherever.
To me, bonsai works because it can be as cheap or as expensive as you want. I'm learning soil mixes to make it cheap. Others learn pottery, propagation, etc. There's no reason every pauper and prince in the world shouldn't be able to do bonsai.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
And for me this is the cheapest way because I live just far enough out in the sticks that a 30 minute drive is the most it takes to get somewhere I can hunt for trees. I find pots where I can, or just poke drainage holes in old buckets. Find things that look like proper pots at yard sales, or stash away fancy looking tins or whatnot. Half my dead trees have been due to experimenting with soil mixes I don't have to pay for because I'm digging substrate out of creek beds or wherever.
To me, bonsai works because it can be as cheap or as expensive as you want. I'm learning soil mixes to make it cheap. Others learn pottery, propagation, etc. There's no reason every pauper and prince in the world shouldn't be able to do bonsai.
I just submitted a permit to collect in PA would be a fun day trip , but yeah I feel you there are ways around buying Yamadori others collect va collecting it yourself .. maybe be expensive but it’s the experience too. Better than paying 600 dollars for a pine tree you could get if you plan/ research accordingly

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This hobby isn't very expensive and it's one where, if you really wanted, you can easily offset your costs and profit from it.

Remember, this is a business in Japan, Vietnam and even the US for many people. People do this for a living all around the world.
It can be profitable, but then it starts to look a lot less like a hobby. Nonetheless, the capability is there.
Then you sell your souls and make it so expensive you weed out competition kinda like Mirai.... I would kill for those trees but I’d rather have the knowledge of how to obtain vs buy... but the caveat is you pay to learn with Mirai too.. so kinda taking advantage of it but also very smart. It depends if you want to learn vs having the money to buy from a nursery. The owner should want those customers to learn ... but as we all know, they’d rather some old lady spend her retirement on a 5,000 tree, vs a dude in his 20’s who genuinely wants to put the time in and get serious about it as a hobby or more . Who wants to get dirty and fight in the trenches to know how to develop and collect good Bonsai

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Ok, so after buying 2 new shelving units, new lights and trays for the trees, yeah it gets expensive.... Damn tropicals.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
A $10.00 pair of kitchen shears, a $10.00 pair of pruning shears, and whatever kind of containers you can scrounge will get you started. Add a couple of bargain shelf procumbens and you're in business. Myself, I kind of like the idea of seeing how much I can do with the least amount of money and tools. Part of the challenge.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The owner should want those customers to learn ... but as we all know, they’d rather some old lady spend her retirement on a 5,000 tree, vs a dude in his 20’s who genuinely wants to put the time in and get serious about it as a hobby or more .
I think you go to the wrong places.
Just yesterday I was at a bonsai nursery where, if you want to expand your knowledge, you can get a tree that needs work. The owner will explain what needs to be done. You bring tools. He provides wire / substrate. And off you go. Every once in a while he will stop by and make recommendations / chances. His philosophy: I get some of the work done that needs doing, the person visiting learns more skills. win-win.

This, of course, if for the proverbial dude in his 20's who wants to put the time in. Not for the old lady who just wants to keep a fancy ficus.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
nope. collect them yourself especially if on public property if youre a lifelong priv sector taxpayer. you paid for them already

Top Bottom