Is bonsai bad for your health?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well, of COURSE it is.

Think about it. Here it is winter and the doldrums are in full bloom and we're champing at the bit to DO stuff with our trees .....

....BUT...

It's not TIME yet! So, back to the TeeVee and beer and rum and waiting til spring while losing your muscle tone and part of your mind due to boredom. :confused:

Then....before you know it, it's SPRING! :D

And....instead of getting out and driving around looking at nature waking up, you are knee deep in DIRT and old dirty discarded roots. :rolleyes:

But....summer's on the way. :Dagain

And... instead of traveling to exotic places with the family....you're chained to a WATERING SCHEDULE. Unless, of course you have an automatic system that will dog you with worry if you go on vacation wondering if it has QUIT !!! :oops:

Which leaves fall. And, if you've dedicated 3/4 of the year to tree care, you can see the colors change on your little leaves. :)

And three quarters of a year not doing what you should be doing takes its toll on your health and if you're fortunate enough to not die from what you've missed, you can come full circle to another winter of idleness.

This ain't GOOD !!! :p:p

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Very true. BADDDDDDD FOR YOU!
You didn't even mention about extreme weather. I go crazy when trees die. Lots of stress when it is too cold or too hot. Fungus....

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Of course it is.
Right now in the dead of winter, people are inside in front of the warm fire, reading a book or watching a NetFlix movie with their loved ones. Yet the BNutters are outside checking their trees in the snow freezing their nuts off while looking for sign of intrusion by the pesky rats. If the BNutters happen to live in the deep south then they will be wading in muddy water filled with duck weeds, looking for a good bald cypress while keeping an eye out for water moccasins and worrying about falling into one of those mud holes that have been known to swallow people walking around in waders. Heaven forbid if we step on a sleeping gator.

Then we walk inside and stare at those high UV LED lights, hoping they will be strong enough to keep our tropicals in photosynthesis. Never mind the fact that those UV lights may be burning our cornea.

We can't wait for spring where we will suffer even more in different ways.

Morax

Yamadori
Reaction score
That's what i said from beginning... where is the calm they say goes with? Twitching waiting for new grow light to arrive... waiting for skiing to grow.. wife surprised me with a european pine? Other day trying to think of something to do with it... let dogs out, two came back one froze to ground.... it's 9 degrees.. wind chill of -8....

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
That's what i said from beginning... where is the calm they say goes with? Twitching waiting for new grow light to arrive... waiting for skiing to grow.. wife surprised me with a european pine? Other day trying to think of something to do with it... let dogs out, two came back one froze to ground.... it's 9 degrees.. wind chill of -8....
The bonsai calm is a MYTH. You are always terrified... that your air layers won't take, your roots are trimmed too much and die, your tree won't back bud, you repot at the wrong time, you de-candle too late and your second flush never comes, your crypto decides by itself to drop a critical branch, etc...

Last but not least Smoke laughed at your stupid moves and Adair agrees him him while Sorce tells you you could have gotten away with much cheaper stuff that does the same thing compared to your premium akadama with every grain hand-picked. AlainK will then joins the chorus and tells you your have ruined the bonsai climate for all of humankind. You get all pissed and grabbed your bonsai to walk out the door.... just to discover that your bougie just sent a big ole thorn right through your palm....

Reaction score
Not all things that are rewarding are good for the health, a lot of things aren't. Once bitten by the virus its a fine line how far you go and when it affects your life in a bad way. I enjoy the moments when it goes well, i learn when it turns bad. Happy when winter comes and there is time to enjoy a break without my trees. It's rewarding to see trees in spring with a fresh set of eyes, sometimes it's like they were never there and other times it's like seeing an old friend again.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Rain, then sleet prior to the snow. I had watered a day early hoping not to need to go out. But temps dropped into negative digits and windchill -35F. I needed my secondary heater turned on. Temps were dropping and would go below 30F and that isn't good for my Satsuki azalea. So the hubs shoveled me a path...I head out and my door is frozen shut. I turned my back to it and used the bottom of my foot to kick at the door...no luck. My husband said we might not get the door open. (If I have to pour hot water on it...it's opening!) but my husband was able to manhandle it open. Forgot the secondary heater in sunroom where tropical storm are. Woke to alarm letting me know it was getting to cold in there. So I still had to deal with the trees wee hours of the morning.
image.jpg

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not sure about the 'health thing', just yet, however. As a newbie, I can assure you that it's been harmful to my wallet! ;)

Reaction score
Not sure about the 'health thing', just yet, however. As a newbie, I can assure you that it's been harmful to my wallet! ;)
The time you spend with your tree is time you don't spend drinking in the bar. If I have a discussion with my Lady, this seems a valid argument.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, of COURSE it is.

Think about it. Here it is winter and the doldrums are in full bloom and we're champing at the bit to DO stuff with our trees .....

....BUT...

It's not TIME yet! So, back to the TeeVee and beer and rum and waiting til spring while losing your muscle tone and part of your mind due to boredom. :confused:

Then....before you know it, it's SPRING! :D

And....instead of getting out and driving around looking at nature waking up, you are knee deep in DIRT and old dirty discarded roots. :rolleyes:

But....summer's on the way. :Dagain

And... instead of traveling to exotic places with the family....you're chained to a WATERING SCHEDULE. Unless, of course you have an automatic system that will dog you with worry if you go on vacation wondering if it has QUIT !!! :oops:

Which leaves fall. And, if you've dedicated 3/4 of the year to tree care, you can see the colors change on your little leaves. :)

And three quarters of a year not doing what you should be doing takes its toll on your health and if you're fortunate enough to not die from what you've missed, you can come full circle to another winter of idleness.

This ain't GOOD !!! :p:p
If it's so rough lighten your load a little,put that Scots in a box and send it.

Forestcat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not all things that are rewarding are good for the health, a lot of things aren't. Once bitten by the virus its a fine line how far you go and when it affects your life in a bad way. I enjoy the moments when it goes well, i learn when it turns bad. Happy when winter comes and there is time to enjoy a break without my trees. It's rewarding to see trees in spring with a fresh set of eyes, sometimes it's like they were never there and other times it's like seeing an old friend again.
As long as the virus isn't dothistroma ...

Top Bottom