Is Eastern Leaf a store to deal with?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was about to make an order from there, but then I saw a couple of posts saying to stay away. I[m curious now if it is a reputable business worth trading with.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was about to make an order from there, but then I saw a couple of posts saying to stay away. I[m curious now if it is a reputable business worth trading with.
I have ordered basic supplies (wire, cut paste, etc.) several times and never had any issue. Since they are in CA, they have to charge sales tax for CA residents. But their shipping within CA is obviously cheaper and faster than other online stores shipping from the East Coast.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I got my very first tree from there. The trees are OKish, I don't like their dense soil. You could do better from Wigert's or the bonsai auctions on FB.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I got my very first tree from there. The trees are OKish, I don't like their dense soil. You could do better from Wigert's or the bonsai auctions on FB.
Glad to read more suggestions to buy from Wigert's. They're a place I've been considering buying a pre-bonsai from. Also good to see some feedback on Eastern Leaf, as that was a seller I was considering buying from as well. While Wigert's seems to sell mostly tropical species (they are in SW FL, so it makes sense), the stuff they do have looks really nice. I like that they sell some "what you see is what you get" trees. I'd find it very hard to spend hundreds on a tree and just have to trust the seller to send me something nice. I'm not big on rolling the dice like that. It's bad enough I can't see online trees in person. At least WYSIWYG trees take lots of the guesswork out of the equation.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
this place has just about everything you need, including some pretty nice stock at reasonable prices. I've shopped them online and seen them at shows and bought stuff from them. They sell some things you won't find elsewhere, including AK, and variations. They're based in Pa, but are apparently expanding to Fla.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I second Wigerts, also Brussels Bonsai particularly for he WYSIWYG trees. Everything else no matter who you order from is a crapshoot.
Eastern leaf is good for very very basic starter material if you are ordering online. They rarely have any training at all.
Although they might have other stock on in their greenhouse/yard but cant post everything.

Stay away from Bonsai Boy. They sell glorified seedlings at way too expensive prices for the most part.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thank you to everyone who responded to my question. I have another now. I have never ordered trees online and am more than a little concerned about how that generally works. Any guidance, please.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you to everyone who responded to my question. I have another now. I have never ordered trees online and am more than a little concerned about how that generally works. Any guidance, please.

If you buy from a reputable place, there shouldnt be any issues
Right now the weather is really hot and it could be that a reputable place wont even ship right now.

Generally you order a tree and they typically ship out on Monday or Tuesday.

What are your questions/concerns?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're dealing with a reputable dealer, it's pretty straighforward. You buy the tree THAT'S IN THE PICTURE online. They pack it up securely (good sellers know how to pack to avoid breakage) and send it to you. Now, however, is not a great time to have trees shipped -- good sellers will tell you that--as summer temps can kill trees in boxes packed into trucks and planes.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Glad to read more suggestions to buy from Wigert's. They're a place I've been considering buying a pre-bonsai from. Also good to see some feedback on Eastern Leaf, as that was a seller I was considering buying from as well. While Wigert's seems to sell mostly tropical species (they are in SW FL, so it makes sense), the stuff they do have looks really nice. I like that they sell some "what you see is what you get" trees. I'd find it very hard to spend hundreds on a tree and just have to trust the seller to send me something nice. I'm not big on rolling the dice like that. It's bad enough I can't see online trees in person. At least WYSIWYG trees take lots of the guesswork out of the equation.
Wigert's has alot more than what they show on their website. You can e-mail them if you are looking for something specific. Andrea is very helpful and will even send pictures.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
this place has just about everything you need, including some pretty nice stock at reasonable prices. I've shopped them online and seen them at shows and bought stuff from them. They sell some things you won't find elsewhere, including AK, and variations. They're based in Pa, but are apparently expanding to Fla.

If anyone ordering from superflybonsai use "INSTOCK15" code for 15% off anything. Just ordered from them last night.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

I asked for a pair of shears from them for Christmas and also received a gift certificate. I didn't even know they had trees, but got a nice Camellia for the price.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you're dealing with a reputable dealer, it's pretty straighforward. You buy the tree THAT'S IN THE PICTURE online. They pack it up securely (good sellers know how to pack to avoid breakage) and send it to you. Now, however, is not a great time to have trees shipped -- good sellers will tell you that--as summer temps can kill trees in boxes packed into trucks and planes.

Right you are. I'm doing pickup only right now. Plus, the heat and excessive rain have all my junipers stressed.

+1 for Wigert's. They're good people.

sevan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've had 3 orders from this store.

The first was a Chinese Elm that I received last August as a gift (photo below). The tree was packed very well and seemed healthy, but the soil was terrible and the instructions were bad (said it was an indoor tree with low light requirements). At the time, I did not know any better and kept it either on my desk or by an east facing window. Somehow it survived until early spring when I repotted it and moved it outside where it is currently recovering from that mistreatment.

The second order was for an akadama mix that I used when repotting the elm. The soil seemed good, but I'm still new to bonsai, so I'm not a reliable source on that, but I'd be happy to post pictures if you are looking for something like that.

Most recently I received a gift certificate that I used to buy some tools and supplies. Shipping was quick, but FedEx misdelivered the package, which is pretty common for me. Eastern Leaf customer service was very responsive and shipped a replacement after a short delay of waiting for FedEx to "look for the package".

Overall, I would be happy to buy from them again if they had something I wanted, but now that I have learned a little bit about bonsai, I don't really see any trees on their site that I would be interested in, so it would probably only be more tools and soil.

ChineseElm_20200820.jpg

Scott

NGski86

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I just snagged some basic stuff and a book from stone lantern. Was great and showed up a day early. Good prices on wire.

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I live near Eastern Leaf, I’ve been there many times, and spoken with the owner more than once. It’s a legit small business, but they cater to beginners mainly. I buy wire and kanuma from him, but the trees are basic mallsai type stuff. He does have some nice specimen trees in the actual store, but you won’t find them on his website.

Top Bottom