Is Evergreen Oak (Quercus ilex) a Good Bonsai Subject?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh that's awesome! East Texas has my favorite fall colors in the state. Love all the sweetgum out there. My cousin actually built a cabin out in Hawkins I always loved visiting growing up.

I think also a lot of why we want to move is we love to hike and go camping and backpacking. Texas is pretty flat and too hot to camp 4/5 months of the year. Lol

Wherever we end up, I plan to have at least an acreage or more to dedicate for growing plants and trees.
Before you move east dig up some cedar elm. They're bulletproof here in Va. develop quickly. They are ALL OVER east Texas. This is the woods near my parent's place. ALL of that underbrush, or at least 90 percent of it, is cedar elm. In Feb. Just saw them out of the ground with a reciprocating saw four inches out from the trunk, lift them out, wash off the field soil (bareroot them) get them into a pot with bonsai soil and you're good to go...

Attachments

• thicket.jpg
    thicket.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 14

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Before you move east dig up some cedar elm. They're bulletproof here in Va. develop quickly. They are ALL OVER east Texas. This is the woods near my parent's place. ALL of that underbrush, or at least 90 percent of it, is cedar elm. In Feb. Just saw them out of the ground with a reciprocating saw four inches out from the trunk, lift them out, wash off the field soil (bareroot them) get them into a pot with bonsai soil and you're good to go...
Thanks so much for the info, this is definitely helpful! Cedar Elm and Bald Cypress are two of my must gets before leaving here. Sadly out of my 15-20 trees I don't have either of those.

Top Bottom