Is is too late to dig up forsythia?

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm here in central NJ, and I have been given permission to "do what I want" to several forsythia bushes. I am looking to get the most bang for my buck, so I would like to get a thicker and older part of the plant. From what I have read, you can't air layer more developed pieces of wood, so digging seems like my best option.

The bushes have had flowers for weeks, but do not seem to have much new growth yet. Is it too late to dig and bare root it? It is still in the 30's the past few nights, so we aren't out of winter yet.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My uncle always transplanted those in the fall...but mentioned some do very early spring transplanting but he felt the best success was fall. He seemed to always be propagating that shrub since most all asked about it come spring when it was in bloom.

Flowering to me...seems to late in the spring. Would they allow you to grab them come fall?

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
If the leaves aren’t opening yet, I’d go for it. I’ve moved big forsythias before, doing the main rootwork in the spring.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If the leaves aren’t opening yet, I’d go for it. I’ve moved big forsythias before, doing the main rootwork in the spring.

Should I cut the top branches back too (like desciduous), or leave them long?

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My uncle always transplanted those in the fall...but mentioned some do very early spring transplanting but he felt the best success was fall. He seemed to always be propagating that shrub since most all asked about it come spring when it was in bloom.

Flowering to me...seems to late in the spring. Would they allow you to grab them come fall?

I can try and see

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

I agree with your uncle - smart. Fall, meaning August/September, then there is time for some root recovery and hardening before hard freezes. If it is in flower, it is too late (spring is okay as buds swell, before buds break).

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I agree with your unkle - smart. Fall, meaning August/September, then there is time for some root recovery and hardening before hard freezes. If it is in flower, it is too late for spring (as they swell, but before buds break).
He knew his forsythia...the one in the front lawn was so large we hid under its canopy as a child...telling each other our most secretive secrets. ? But it grew HUGE...and honestly...their front lawn is overtaken by the thing now. ?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've noted that when you keep them too dry...
They have the ability to make leaves that adapt, harder, tighter, more capable of withstanding drought.

They want to live more than other trees.

No worries.

Try layers too.

Sorce

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Should I cut the top branches back too (like desciduous), or leave them long?
I'd treat it like any other deciduous tree; I normally cut back when I collect. From memory there was some dieback on mine, so maybe leave the branching a node or two longer than you need. I've never seen my forsythia produce new buds at the cut point, always from existing buds further back. The stems tend to become hollow, the deadwood is a bit punky, and I don't see significant callusing - so make your cuts carefully in places they won't be seen.

I see you are getting conflicting advice here - I'd guess that either fall or spring is OK, as long as the leaves have already dropped or have not started opening yet. Looking at mine this morning the leaves are now too far on for digging / repotting; may be different in your climate. Personally I'd go by the leaves not the flowers, I see the flowers come out a couple of weeks before the leaf buds start moving.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd treat it like any other deciduous tree; I normally cut back when I collect. From memory there was some dieback on mine, so maybe leave the branching a node or two longer than you need. I've never seen my forsythia produce new buds at the cut point, always from existing buds further back. The stems tend to become hollow, the deadwood is a bit punky, and I don't see significant callusing - so make your cuts carefully in places they won't be seen.

I see you are getting conflicting advice here - I'd guess that either fall or spring is OK, as long as the leaves have already dropped or have not started opening yet. Looking at mine this morning the leaves are now too far on for digging / repotting; may be different in your climate. Personally I'd go by the leaves not the flowers, I see the flowers come out a couple of weeks before the leaf buds start moving.

The bushes were starting to push growth, so I am going to leave them alone for now. The owners of the property were OK with me collecting in the fall. My game plan is to cut back and try to establish a central leader and some shape once they get to "energy positive". Then they will grow in the ground this season, and I will dig them up this fall. Thank you for the tips on pruning and digging up this species!

Top Bottom