Is it clay or something else

Reaction score
Gorgeous pot for a forest, is it made with clay or with something else? I tried to make a similar one but cracked during the drying. I will try again in the weekend. :)

Attachments

• IMG_6819.PNG
    IMG_6819.PNG
    299.7 KB · Views: 136

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the "pot" slabs Could be either ceramic or stone. This kind of composition was made popular by Kimura. One of his plantings like this recently sold in Japan for about $20,000.

JoshuaRN

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plastic wrap ,lots of plastic wrap

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Slabs like this can also be made from cement with chicken wire or fibreglass reinforcing for strength. Use oxides to colour the cement instead of plain grey.
More recently we have been carving 'rocks' and slabs for bonsai from AAC (Autoclaved, aerated concrete) which is one of the newer building products -strong, light, durable and can be carved with hand or power tools. Quite porous in the raw state so it needs a sealing coat before use with plants.
Lots of ways to get the exact shaped 'rock' for your next bonsai project.

JoshuaRN

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update- it’s 2 seperate pots formed to fit together and I’m assumed wired . It’s possible to make it as one but you can clearly see How he designed the curves to support the slab. Draw
It out and as I said before control the drying of any part that is Likely to dry faster than the main body.

Just thought of this and it’s going to be very wasteful unless you rehydrate clay but break the design into the minimal amount of pieces , I’d say 2, form 2 1in slabs or thicker of wedged clay, get a wood or foam triangle for the angle desired. Let them dry to leatherhard and score and attach as rectangles with the wedge supporting , weld the hell out of the connection, wrap edges in plastic and bag the whole piece. After a 2 days uncover and carve your shape , finish details with green Brillo once bone dry. The failures will be on the external edges and will be carved off . Lots
Of work and time but nothing worth having is easy.

Reaction score
If somebody knows who built this slab or something similar, please let me know.

I will update you if I manage to build it. :)

JoshuaRN

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ll give it a go once I finish up this load of clay and restock.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Reaction score
Someone confirmed me that this slab is made out of rock. I still think that it is possible to make it out of clay. There are several challenges to overcome but let’s see. At this point, we are 2 persons trying to make it.

Maybe others will join this “project” too.

Reaction score
If you mean the facebook conversation Vlad, I saw that too. He said he didn't know who the potter was, so clay and stone might be the same if it's made by a potter. No idea what he actually meant but it might be very well possible it's ceramic after all.

Reaction score
If you mean the facebook conversation Vlad, I saw that too. He said he didn't know who the potter was, so clay and stone might be the same if it's made by a potter. No idea what he actually meant but it might be very well possible it's ceramic after all.

In other pics the slab colour is very different from the first picture and it looks like it’s clay.

Attachments

• A5F2F138-4C3A-49AF-B28D-F85533E3C362.png
    A5F2F138-4C3A-49AF-B28D-F85533E3C362.png
    278.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 222CD3C2-1FB6-47AC-8781-379EC4D79D9A.png
    222CD3C2-1FB6-47AC-8781-379EC4D79D9A.png
    229.9 KB · Views: 49

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I really dig that stone pot you had on the fbook auctions a couple weeks ago. Nice work... Clay is so much fiun isn't it? I've been working on some super cool slab stuff I'll be showing here real soon.

Reaction score
I really dig that stone pot you had on the fbook auctions a couple weeks ago. Nice work... Clay is so much fiun isn't it? I've been working on some super cool slab stuff I'll be showing here real soon.

Thank you for your kind words. I love to play with clay while keeping it related to the bonsai world. Share your work, I am curious to see it. :)

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Vlad Cruceanu hey Vlad! I actually asked about this one while visiting Mr. Kimura last year. His apprentice confirmed that it's stone. Could possibly pull off something like this in clay... but it would be tough as hell.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Ruben Bouwmeester made an amazing one like this, about 3-4 feet wide, for a friend of mine. Just saw it last weekend. Considering you are in Europe, I would guess there is an option to get one through him.

Top Bottom