Is it dead?

Jaie

Seed
Reaction score
I got this dwarf jade tree in the mail a couple months ago. I tried to not water it too much. All the leaves fell off. I gave up on it, and then watered it randomly and a couple leaves started growing. Those fell off too.

I water it now when the soil is dry... not that there is very much soil. It's wired into the pot... there is a tiny new leaf of the side.

Should a cut the branches? Water it? Let it starve? Not sure what it wants!

Attachments

• 20200821_182516.jpg
    20200821_182516.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 73

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Where are you keeping the tree?
This tree needs as much light as you can provide it - the brightest window you have (assuming it’s indoors). Ideally this tree should be outdoors during the warm months.
If there’s a leaf growing you’re good. If it were in real danger you would be seeing the trunk shrivel up, but even then it’s not the end of it. Just keep watering it when it goes dry, and give it as much light as possible.
It wouldn’t be a bad idea to repot it - the soil in your picture looks like it’s retaining a lot of water. Repotting it into some free draining bonsai soil will help with watering.
Don’t give up! You got this!

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's got new growth pushing so it's still hanging on. Can you set it outside? This plant needs sun!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It does look like it's in regular potting soil, which will stay too wet. I just use cactus/succulent soil for mine it works fine. I know you all say "get it outside" but I keep a few in a southern window sill at work and they do great. The tips are red, so they are getting plenty of sun. Just sayin'.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Soil is definitely THE thing that is putting you in this cycle of death.

Putting it outside will only increase the RPMs of the cycle...

Soil that is too wet no matter what, back to almost dry...back to too wet.

It is impossible to sanely grow this plant in that soil.

You would have to measure mL of water in a dropper and drip it on certain sections of the soil at certain times of day...

I'd take a cutting for a second chance, and Repot it into cactus mix or other straight away.

Sorce

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
If it was mine I would not repot immediately or put it outside if its being kept inside currently. The tree is stressed and sunburn or cutting pulling off roots could kill it.
I would keep it warm around 20c put in a South facing window and do not water at all until the soil is bone dry all the way through and the new leaves have developed. Then water only when the leaves start to wrinkle from dehydration. As soon as there is good growth repot in inorganic substrate or cactus soil if you wish.

Jaie

Seed
Reaction score
Okay so either repot, or don't.

And put it outside, or don't...

I don't even know how to get it out without wire cutters. It's legit wired in to this tiny ceramic dish.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

I don't even know how to get it out without wire cutters. It's legit wired in to this tiny ceramic dish.
Then get some wire cutters. That wet soil is going to kill it.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A

Welcome to bonsai! Lol never a simple answer! Where are you? That will have a huge impact.

TLDR let it dry out, add bonsai/cactus to rest of the pot, don’t water till leaves wrinkle. Watering with that soil will be 1 ice cube away from the tree. Lots of light in an area that keeps it dry.

It’s a succulent it needs very little water. I would stop watering it, fill the pot with bonsai/cactus soil, and put it somewhere it can get as much light and warmth from the sun as possible probably indoors but not in direct sun outside. If using a window use the window that gets the most hours of light. An open sided covered porch to keep it dry could be a good option if it gets a lot of light. Main thing is keep it dry and let it dry out until it starts pushing new leaves. When the leaves wrinkle then it’s finally getting dry. You probably won’t have to water it at all for weeks in that soil. Once it starts looking healthy wait for the leaves to start looking wrinkled. When they do give it an ice cube on the edge of the pot furthest from where it’s planted. Then once it’s really cranking along by next year maybe then you can repot it into full bonsai/cactus soil.

Just my little bit of knowledge learned when I almost killed mine several times. Lmao. It’s also fallen twice and lost all its soil for all day in the sun and it’s still going. They’re a perfect intro to growing because they’re hard to kill. Not impossible but hard. 😝 hang in there and keep trying!

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Definitely repot it. You can get some pliers and twist the wires or get some cheap cutters. That soil is going to stay wet too long and once it dries it’s hard to rehydrate and generally just not the best. Those who are familiar with Portulacaria afra, and have experience caring for them will tell you to repot it into some free draining soil. And outside is always best, it isn’t necessary, as @Carol 83 mentioned, you can care for them indoors. But if you can put it outside, it’s better to do so. Again, not necessary to put it outside, but it’s better.
Repot is a definite, outside is up to you.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome to bonsai! Lol never a simple answer! Where are you? That will have a huge impact.

TLDR let it dry out, add bonsai/cactus to rest of the pot, don’t water till leaves wrinkle. Watering with that soil will be 1 ice cube away from the tree. Lots of light in an area that keeps it dry.

It’s a succulent it needs very little water. I would stop watering it, fill the pot with bonsai/cactus soil, and put it somewhere it can get as much light and warmth from the sun as possible probably indoors but not in direct sun outside. If using a window use the window that gets the most hours of light. An open sided covered porch to keep it dry could be a good option if it gets a lot of light. Main thing is keep it dry and let it dry out until it starts pushing new leaves. When the leaves wrinkle then it’s finally getting dry. You probably won’t have to water it at all for weeks in that soil. Once it starts looking healthy wait for the leaves to start looking wrinkled. When they do give it an ice cube on the edge of the pot furthest from where it’s planted. Then once it’s really cranking along by next year maybe then you can repot it into full bonsai/cactus soil.

Just my little bit of knowledge learned when I almost killed mine several times. Lmao. It’s also fallen twice and lost all its soil for all day in the sun and it’s still going. They’re a perfect intro to growing because they’re hard to kill. Not impossible but hard. 😝 hang in there and keep trying!

A compromise has been presented. Lol I suppose that’s acceptable.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
A compromise has been presented. Lol I suppose that’s acceptable.
Thank you sir. I try. Mine is in recovery after it’s second upset. I finally stuck it Back in a colander in a concrete urn so it won’t blow now I’m trying to figure out how to keep rain off till it can grow more than 1/2” roots lol. I keep trying different sides of the house. So far the east side seems to stay the driest with the most light. Luckily mine is used to lots of sun at least so I can leave it outside just gotta find my driest point. 🤞🏻

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you sir. I try. Mine is in recovery after it’s second upset. I finally stuck it Back in a colander in a concrete urn so it won’t blow now I’m trying to figure out how to keep rain off till it can grow more than 1/2” roots lol. I keep trying different sides of the house. So far the east side seems to stay the driest with the most light. Luckily mine is used to lots of sun at least so I can leave it outside just gotta find my driest point. 🤞🏻
Right, the good thing about P. afra is it’s not nearly as water intolerant as many other succulents. But for me, I just move mine when it rains, I just stick it under the awning. And if I miss here and there it’s not a big deal. Thankfully I got rid of all but one of mine so moving it it’s work lol.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Right, the good thing about P. afra is it’s not nearly as water intolerant as many other succulents. But for me, I just move mine when it rains, I just stick it under the awning. And if I miss here and there it’s not a big deal. Thankfully I got rid of all but one of mine so moving it it’s work lol.
Mine needs a permanent low rain home because it rains every day. Sometimes 3-4 times a day. Lmao. I can’t leave work when it’s gonna rain or run out in the middle of the night every time. Lol. It’s raining now as a matter of fact! Lmao

Sorry for all the giggles but I’m imagining trying to move it everytime it rains and it’s cracking me up!

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mine needs a permanent low rain home because it rains every day. Sometimes 3-4 times a day. Lmao. I can’t leave work when it’s gonna rain or run out in the middle of the night every time. Lol. It’s raining now as a matter of fact! Lmao

Sorry for all the giggles but I’m imagining trying to move it everytime it rains and it’s cracking me up!
Oh wow, yea that makes succulents a bit of work. Understood lol

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Oh wow, yea that makes succulents a bit of work. Understood lol
It was my first and last. Lmao. Maybe in 1/4”-1/2” sift soil I’ll try again. But I want to let this one get good roots before I repot.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
And you can feel the leavesgetting soft before they wrinkle. If the leaf is firm, don't water. As it dries out it gets softer. Easy!
CW
I didn’t know that one! Makes sense though!

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And you can feel the leavesgetting soft before they wrinkle. If the leaf is firm, don't water. As it dries out it gets softer. Easy!
CW

I do exactly this with mine in the winter. When the leaves loose some turgidity, water...otherwise leave it alone. The leaves will turn dull if you leave it alone too long. It will bounce back even then, but ideally you want shiny leaves that feel plump.

That said, I do that in the _winter_ when the plant is resting. In the summer, when I want more robust growth and to thicken the trunk, I water away! Most succulents are opportunistic. They don't have "flushes" per-se. As long as you can keep the conditions in the happy zone, they tend to just keep right on growing. I have a pair of 20 year old saguaro cacti that I ran an experiment on for their first 10 years or so. One I watered by "convention". I let the soil dry between watering, tried to follow all the rules in all the books, etc...The other I watered constantly as long as it was "in growth". The one I watered constantly grew about 3 times faster than the other one.

Same with Jade. I make sure my soil doesn't become muddy or collect water. If I can squeeze drops out of it after it has drained a few minutes, it's too water retentive. I water mine by drenching with a hose every day. But only do this while it is actively growing! Once the temps start to drop, I go back to the turgidity method.

My wife (then girlfriend) got me my jade for Easter in 1991. My very first plant and I still have it. Multiple copies of it these days. We were space limited for many years so I would cut the tops off and throw away the base :( Cuttings root readily. Fallen leaves root readily all on their own right there in the pot. Pretty much the only thing that can kill it is too much water so be careful if you opt to follow my habits! Even if you water too much, if you can catch the rot before it climbs the entire trunk, you can cut the healthy part and report just the healthy part. Even a single leaf can be enough to save the plant!

This is my largest "cutting". The last time I broke up the plant I decided to keep some of the bases instead of the tips. I have more room now and am curious how fat I can get it. We saw one in Indianapolis at the conservatory with a 6" trunk!

20200823_092239.jpg20200823_092403.jpg

They never really get much of a root system...at least the way I've grown them :( This cutting has been happily growing in this tiny pot for 2 years now. They are very tolerant of low light so I kept this one at my office desk pre-covid. When grown in low light they do tend to get spindly and have a hard time holding themselves upright. But they take a long time to die off even in low light. And, if you're okay with a spindly snake plant, they can survive that way indefinitely. When moved back into brighter light (careful of sunburn!) they bounce back!

20200823_091939.jpg

In 30 years, I've yet to get mine to flower though :( That's something I'm starting to put some active effort into trying to do now. I've never really tried to flower them in the past.

Top Bottom