Is it dying or is it normal?

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a japanese maple "Going Green". The trunk started to change colour and looks like it's dead. The colour is extending upwards, but higher, the stems are green. The tree is planted in the ground since last summer or autumn. Is it really dying or is this colour normal for this species?IMG-20210621-WA0007.jpgIMG-20210621-WA0006.jpgIMG-20210621-WA0005.jpgIMG-20210621-WA0001.jpgIMG-20210621-WA0000.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is typical for dead cambium & bark. Your tree is having big problems and changes are, it is on its way out. Once a trunk starts to color black it usually is the end of playtime.

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is typical for dead cambium & bark. Your tree is having big problems and changes are, it is on its way out. Once a trunk starts to color black it usually is the end of playtime.
I guess it will all be over soon

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How long have air layers been in place:rolleyes:?
Maybe for a week or so. Maybe I will be lucky since the soots are very thin. I thought I will have better chances that with cuttings

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This black rot on J maples, is one reason why I've given up on them.
They seem to need all the sprays and all the chemicals.... I don't know how anyone keeps up with them.
They always look so pretty and healthy, until one moment when they suddenly don't, and it's too late.

Maybe take some soft wood cuttings where and try again?

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They seem to need all the sprays and all the chemicals.... I don't know how anyone keeps up with them.
They always look so pretty and healthy, until one moment when they suddenly don't, and it's too late.

It didn't grow too much until now. I could take maybe 5 cuttings. That's why I started the airlayers. I did another one this morning, after leatherback's response and will probably do a few more. I hope it will survive enough for the layers to take

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hope it will survive enough for the layers to take

Besides avoiding this hassle like the plague, I don't know anything about it.

But I would research the chances of you bringing it with you into the future via cuttings etc...

Sorce

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Besides avoiding this hassle like the plague, I don't know anything about it.

But I would research the chances of you bringing it with you into the future via cuttings etc...

Sorce
Yes, that's what I'm hoping for. I was thinking I would have better luck with air layers than cuttings. I will take some cuttings too, though.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Could it help to start treating the tree to prevent the air layers from getting infected?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pseudomonas is bad stuff.
Might prevent you from putting certain species in the ground

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I don't get this at all. I have a lot of Japanese Maples, most are about twelve years old and I never spray anything or use any chemicals and I have never seen anything like this on any of them.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't get this at all. I have a lot of Japanese Maples, most are about twelve years old and I never spray anything or use any chemicals and I have never seen anything like this on any of them.

Aren't you on the dry side of Oregon?

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Consider yourself lucky. It's something in the soil and there is no cure for it in the tree. It's recommended that you burn any infected plants.

Grimlore who used to be a member here had pseudomonous and they had go through all kinds of things to rid his property of it. There is a thread here somewhere that describes what he had to do to get rid of it.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aren't you on the dry side of Oregon?

Sorce
No, not exactly. The dry side you refer to is the east side of the Cascade Mountains, which is about two thirds of the state. High elevation semi arid desert. I'm on the west side of the Cascades, on the eastern side of the Inland Valley between the Intercoastal Mountains and the Cascades. Except I'm not in the valley. I'm up on one of the foothills leading up to the Cascades. There's hundreds of them and hundreds of little micro climates all depending on which side of the mountain you're on at what elevation.
So, I'm fairly wet for nine months of the year and then bone dry for the other three, June, July and August. But, being up at 3000' I'm a lot cooler than the valley and little to no humidity. Appearantly perfect for Japanese Maples in that respect, but I think there's more to it than climatic conditions. More likely soil content.

Top Bottom