Is it normal For Trident leaves to look droopy?

Flabonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It should be outside. Your plan to keep it inside then place it outside for next winter is a dangerous one and could possibly kill the tree.

You will not be able to induce dormancy keeping it inside. Dormancy is brought on by shortening daylength that Northern latitudes get with the changing seasons (yes, Fla. is subject to seasons even though you don't get extreme winters--days do get noticeably shorter). The dormancy process begins in June at the summer solstice as days begin to get shorter. The shortening daylength "tells" the plant to put its efforts into building roots and woodier growth and not into leaves. It also tells them to start storing reserves in their roots. The process can't be duplicated very well--even with artificial lighting and timers inside. You cannot "force" a plant to go dormant.

If you place it outside in the fall, expecting it to go dormant in a few weeks, it will not. If you get frosts and (heaven forbid) freezes when it is outside at your parents home next winter, the plant will simply be shocked into non-growth. If it is frozen deeply enough, the tree will be killed, since it has not built up the winter hardiness that the dormancy process initiates.

Your saving grace is that you're in Fla. and freezing presumably won't be an issue. However, since the a primary reason to keep a trident inside might be to avoid deep winter cold, why is it inside in Fla.?

I guess I like going against all odds then. I've always been the type of person that when someone says something is impossible to do I have to try it for myself.:D You live and you learn, I guess I'll find out the hard way if it doesn't make it. I live in a apartment complex so that's the main reason why there indoors. Even if I did have a patio outside I would still have some indoors with me. I really enjoy Having them inside with me I can always glance over at them and enjoy them. I've been into bonsai for the past 10yrs off and on so I've had a few die on me, but this one will be a lot more costly if I lose it. I will try my best to keep it alive and only time will tell.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I've always been the type of person that when someone says something is impossible to do I have to try it for myself.

You may be that type of person, but the tree is what it is...

Reaction score
:confused: What baffles me is why pay for the extra electricity to grow them indoors during their normal growing season when the sunshine outside costs you nothing. Then you have another place to put them during dormancy, which is outdoors. Why don't you put them outdoors @ the place you put them during dormancy during the growing season?

I know the attraction to have our trees near us, but you may find that you can still bring them to your place for a few days, then return them. You'll find that "absence makes the heart grow fonder" works w/bonsai too. Just sayin'

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Greg a couple of months ago a woman and her daughter came to our club meeting, at some point she told us how she grows them inside, so they could sing to them :rolleyes:, they didn't show up anymore after that.:confused:

Maybe they were wiccans???

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"so they could sing to them "

Now THAT is highlarious. :D

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes it was, worse was we actually laughed out loud( just couldn't be helped), thought afterwards that it might have been a bit insensative, but we didn't get a chance to say otherwise as they had already voiced that they had to leave before the meeting ended. We did try to explain the inside deal, but thier wishes were more important than the tree living. After that trying to explain a trunk chop may have been like getting caught red faced after robbing a bank, they would have thought us brutal.:eek: Thats real tree huggers for ya.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Perfect advice for fertilizer. Not so much for pruning.
I'm a relative newbie, so, to clarify what you're saying, don't fertilize until leaves are hardened off, but pruning can be done while they're still growing? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm a relative newbie, so, to clarify what you're saying, don't fertilize until leaves are hardened off, but pruning can be done while they're still growing? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
I am a relative newbie myself so you might want to ask a more experienced member. There are hundreds here.

Top Bottom