Is it possible to acquire an Oriental hornbeam in the US?

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Most nurseries in California seem to have only European hornbeams. Nothing promising online either.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks. Looks like their both out of them at the moment. I'll keep them in mind.

Did you contact for check of future availability? Also fellow club members and upcoming CA Bonsai conventions and shows;).

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am not sure if you mean Japanese or Korean hornbeam, but I bought several of the Korean ones on eBay last year. Some were seedlings and some were 35 years old. Nice thing about these is the fact that they develop character early.
I just looked on eBay and there isn't much now but I suspect there will be closer to spring.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do a search on "Korean hornbeam" and you will get results from Etsy to Amazon. Unfortunately, you're a bit late on the trigger for most of the better sellers, like Matt at Kaede. I don't know if Bill Valavanis is selling Korean hornbeam (which, BTW, can be Carpinus Coreana, or Carpinus turczaninowii) this year.

Seedlings of both go fast from reliable sellers like that. Seedling orders typically start moving fast in early Jan.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They do have them listed at $12 each in 2-3/4 pots.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked up a nice Korean from Ken at the Columbus show this summer. It was $50 dollars.
Not sure about shipping but maybe call him.
IMG_20190720_151936342.jpg

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You need to be clear about what you want. Carpinus orientalis is Oriental hornbeam and is from the Mediterranean. It is what Walter Pall (and others) is growing. He shares progression threads of them here. They are not Korean hornbeam, Carpinus turc or koreana.

From Wikipedia "Carpinus orientalis, known as the Oriental hornbeam, is a hornbeam native to Hungary, the Balkans, Italy, Crimea, Turkey, Iran, and the Caucasus.[1][2] and occurs usually on hot dry sites at lower altitudes in comparison to European hornbeam"

I know of no source for Carpinus orientalis in the US.

Regards,
Martin

Last edited:

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You need to be clear about what you want. Carpinus orientalis is Oriental hornbeam and is from the Mediterranean. It is what Walter Pall (and others) is growing. He shares progression threads of them here. They are not Korean hornbeam, Carpinus turc or koreana.

From Wikipedia "Carpinus orientalis, known as the Oriental hornbeam, is a hornbeam native to Hungary, the Balkans, Italy, Crimea, Turkey, Iran, and the Caucasus.[1][2] and occurs usually on hot dry sites at lower altitudes in comparison to European hornbeam"

I know of no source for Carpinus orientalis in the US.

Regards,
Martin
Among the esteemed population here I didn't think there was any ambiguity in "Oriental hornbeam" (c. orientalis). Although of course there are many hilarious mix-ups with that shifting terminology.

In my youth there was a theme park in Kansas City with a roller coaster called The Orient Express. That name of course originally referred to the train route from Europe to Istanbul.

But whoever designed the ride made it China themed. To this day I can't figure out if it was a pun or ignorance by the designer. :)

hardtimes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So has anyone tried Oriental Hornbeam in the US? Since it’s from the Mediterranean I want to try it here. I planted some seeds so I’ll see how that goes. I’d like to buy a bigger one though

Drcuisine

Yamadori
Reaction score
I started a batch of Carpinus orientalis this summer. Carpinus are challenging to get to germinate. Previous attempts have failed. The seeds for trees I started came from Scheffield’s. The trees only got to about six inches before dormancy hit. The leaves were on the large size. Similar to American hornbeam. Perhaps those were just juvenile leaves and leaf reduction may be possible. I think Korean is the preferred tree for bonsai. I’ve had two sources for Japanese hornbeam. One was from Forestfarm nursery in Oregon. Those trees were very upright with branches growing almost straight up. The leaves have detailed very defined ridges that are nice and small. The habit is too upright for my liking. I also bought some Japanese Hornbeam from Dylan at Cedarrose nursery on eBay. Those had the best leaves (very textured defined furrows (I think it’s called “venation” ) and the best growth habit of any of my hornbeam. Dylan currently only has Korean hornbeam which are also excellent. I went to visit Dylan’s ranch outside Placerville Ca.

For those interested I personally think Dylan has the most outstanding grown grown pre bonsai of any grower. His trees are simply spectacular!

Anyone interested should contact him directly. His eBay listings is only a tiny portion of what he has available. His trees on eBay are a bargain!!!

I visited his nursery and bought ten trees, still in the ground. Can’t wait to pick them up. I’m pretty sure he will ship. If interested in high quality pre-bonsai material I suggest contacting him. cedarrosenursery@gmail.com

The leaf size on the Pinus Orientalis was a bit of a bummer since I got over fifty little trees. Another reminder of the importance of knowing the source and genetics from the get go.

Happy growing

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wow, I totally forgot about this pre-COVID thread! That year I did plant a batch of seeds from Sheffield's. Only one grew strongly, and it's still kickin!

Seems to be a slow grower, but man it is TOUGH as nails!

Two years ago (when it was just 1 year old), squirrels dug it up. I thought it was a goner!

20210906_122927.jpg

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
But it pulled through and has now survived two Virginia winters with flying colors.

So far the leaves are tiny compared to American. Here it is (top right) compared to an American hornbeam (bottom left) I received in a trade with @19Mateo83. (Mateo, deer absolutely go nuts for that American hornbeam! They'll seek it out even if it's well hidden.)

PXL_20230614_175744737.jpg

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
And to answer my own original question, almost 4 years later, I have still not seen an oriental hornbeam tree for sale in the US.

hardtimes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I started a batch of Carpinus orientalis this summer. Carpinus are challenging to get to germinate. Previous attempts have failed. The seeds for trees I started came from Scheffield’s. The trees only got to about six inches before dormancy hit. The leaves were on the large size. Similar to American hornbeam. Perhaps those were just juvenile leaves and leaf reduction may be possible. I think Korean is the preferred tree for bonsai. I’ve had two sources for Japanese hornbeam. One was from Forestfarm nursery in Oregon. Those trees were very upright with branches growing almost straight up. The leaves have detailed very defined ridges that are nice and small. The habit is too upright for my liking. I also bought some Japanese Hornbeam from Dylan at Cedarrose nursery on eBay. Those had the best leaves (very textured defined furrows (I think it’s called “venation” ) and the best growth habit of any of my hornbeam. Dylan currently only has Korean hornbeam which are also excellent. I went to visit Dylan’s ranch outside Placerville Ca.

For those interested I personally think Dylan has the most outstanding grown grown pre bonsai of any grower. His trees are simply spectacular!

Anyone interested should contact him directly. His eBay listings is only a tiny portion of what he has available. His trees on eBay are a bargain!!!

I visited his nursery and bought ten trees, still in the ground. Can’t wait to pick them up. I’m pretty sure he will ship. If interested in high quality pre-bonsai material I suggest contacting him. cedarrosenursery@gmail.com

The leaf size on the Pinus Orientalis was a bit of a bummer since I got over fifty little trees. Another reminder of the importance of knowing the source and genetics from the get go.

Happy growing
For carpinus orientalis, Walter pall grows them and they look amazing. I have Korean hornbeam but I have a special interest in orientalis since it’s from a Mediterranean climate. Hornbeam have a tendency to get leaf burn here so I was thinking that orientalis would be the way to go. I hope my seeds do well since no one seems to have them. I’ll be looking to pick up a Japanese hornbeam bare root soon

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
But it pulled through and has now survived two Virginia winters with flying colors.

So far the leaves are tiny compared to American. Here it is (top right) compared to an American hornbeam (bottom left) I received in a trade with @19Mateo83. (Mateo, deer absolutely go nuts for that American hornbeam! They'll seek it out even if it's well hidden.)

View attachment 520990
That’s rather surprising, the area I collected it from is packed with deer.

Top Bottom