is it possible to air layer a 6-10" dia branch on an old tree?

thailand-steve

Yamadori
Reaction score
i found some really cool old trees in my local rain forest

1.jpg
2.jpg

i know that air layering works best on newer branches about 2" dia but i think cutting at the red lines on these trees would make a fantastic bonsai starting point

but do you think there is any chance an air layer would take root?

thanks

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Depending on the species...possibly yes.

You have to learn to provide details when asking questions. It will encourage more & better response.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Technically, the diameter of the trunk shouldn't matter. By the way, the location of your proposed layer may be problematic, as a significant portion of the trunk appears to be dead or at least compromised. Personally, I might try a smaller layer first and see how it goes, then move to larger projects as your experience grows.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In this example, another major consideration is the tree's ability to back bud.

thailand-steve

Yamadori
Reaction score
Technically, the diameter of the trunk shouldn't matter. By the way, the location of your proposed layer may be problematic, as a significant portion of the trunk appears to be dead or at least compromised. Personally, I might try a smaller layer first and see how it goes, then move to larger projects as your experience grows.

yes, i realize that on the 2nd photo the area has a lot of dead wood but that's kind of why i'm interested in that location.

but there is a lot of new growth about 10" above that red line (maybe hard to see on the photo) so i'm hoping that will be enough to keep it going after an air layer.

anyhow, i'll give it a try and post more photos if it works out

thanks

Top Bottom