Is it possible to germinate dry Japanese Maple seeds purchased online?

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
growing from seed is not always easy. One must follow the stratification procedure correctly. If maple seed drops below a certain percentage moisture while in storage, a 60 day warm moist stratification will be needed BEFORE the 90 day cold moist stratification. So too many days dry in an envelope on your desk can change the way the seed needs to be treated. I don't remember the exact moisture content where the requirements change, I read it once in a book on germinating trees from seed, not related to bonsai.

Fresh seed needs only a cold stratification, seed that has been dried, needs a 60 day warm (above 60 F or 16 C) stratification followed by a 90 day cold moist stratification (between 32 to 40 F or 0 C to 4 C)
I think Leo may have solved my mystery.

In the past I have had great success just throwing JM seeds right off the tree into some dirt in October/November.

This was the first time I ordered from Sheffield's, and I did exactly the same thing. Must have been too dry for that.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sheffield often recommends 120 days of warm and cold stratification on dried seeds.
How about one entire season of warm stratification? :)

I.e. should I just leave them and see if they germinate next year?

Or do I only get one shot?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

JM seeds that don't germinate this season are sometimes late and will germinate the following season. I would tag the pot and leave them for next season to see if any sprout.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
JM seeds that don't germinate this season are sometimes late and will germinate the following season. I would tag the pot and leave them for next season to see if any sprout.

Don't let the seeds dry out though.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Carpinus caroliniana - American hornbeam - The seed ripens early summer. My method is to plant it in a flat in July, leave the flat out exposed to rain and sun all summer, and all winter, for germination the following spring. This works with Carpinus, many maples, Ostrya, and a fair number of other hardwood trees. Wire mesh, I use 1/4 hardware cloth, to keep squirrels & birds out is essential.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have had little success with dry seed. BUT after treatment of soak, wait 120 days, cold stratify, waiting for presto and not much happened... Another full summer and winter in the ground a few more popped up! I couldn't believe it!

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I googled fresh seed and now I forget where they were from, but I found them and they popped like magic! The problem was the soil was too moisture retentive and I lost most of them to dampening off!!! I have to figure out a better mix for infant/toddler maples.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm checking back in here to report that Leo's advice worked! (No surprise I guess).

I left the seemingly unsuccessful seed trays alone all last season, and all winter, and all spring.

And now they're finally all sprouting! After about 18 months of stratification. A bit long for my tastes....:). I'll be smarter about dry seeds next time.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I still have a bunch of JM seed from last fall. Roughly 90 days in the fridge until you start seeing tap roots emerge then sow them under 1/4" of substrate.

PM me if you're interested.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but it won't let me send you a PM. Do you still happen to have some seeds around? I've been looking everywhere!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry to hijack the thread, but it won't let me send you a PM. Do you still happen to have some seeds around? I've been looking everywhere!

Try Sheffield’s seeds.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, I do. I have fresh seed I collected this past fall. I'll send you a PM.

Top Bottom