Is it possible to root a pine cutting or not?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A friend of mine has a Japanese black pine he is planning on cutting quite a bit off of, and since those trees seem quite difficult to find in the Chicago metro area for a decent price, I was wondering if you can root a cutting of one or not. If it is at all possible, I may attempt it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
People take cuttings of newly emerged seedlings to start nebari development and they are able to get roots to form but I think it has to do with the cell differentiation in the new seedlings stalks and homomers that allows for it.

Not sure if taking a cutting from a mature tree will work with JBP.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There are reported successful results with specific methods applied to spring candles and also successful reports of air layering spring candles. I have not read or heard of any success with the normal cutting taken from excess material during pruning. Based on my experience with conifer cuttings I would not rule out the possibility but I would not expect it to be successful. Even the above reported successful approaches are limited in success and require a very controlled and deliberate approach.
No harm in trying if you have the time and the inclination.

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
I managed to root 2 out of 3 shoots from this season’s growth (fresh candles, Southern Hemisphere). It took around 3 months but they rooted well and have roots around 7-8” long and produced some new buds. I cut the shoots off, applied rooting hormone and put them in a pot of bonsai medium in a shady location. They got watered once a day.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There was a discussion here recently about . Black pine from cuttings . Try a message to Shibui. I think he was the one talking about success with cuttings . I may be wrong it may have been someone else but it was here .

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
There was a discussion here recently about . Black pine from cuttings . Try a message to Shibui. I think he was the one talking about success with cuttings . I may be wrong it may have been someone else but it was here .

D

Deleted member 32750

I managed to root 2 out of 3 shoots from this season’s growth (fresh candles, Southern Hemisphere). It took around 3 months but they rooted well and have roots around 7-8” long and produced some new buds. I cut the shoots off, applied rooting hormone and put them in a pot of bonsai medium in a shady location. They got watered once a day.
I am interested about this. Did you plant these cutting from candles that were cut during decandling time, or were they candles that hardened off toward the end of your growing season?

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I am interested about this. Did you plant these cutting from candles that were cut during decandling time, or were they candles that hardened off toward the end of your growing season?
@Adam D I cut some very fresh candles off a small tree around October last year, so they probably weren’t even hardened off yet. Applied hormone and stuck in a pot under a bench. When I checked on them in early Jan they had rooted. I wasn’t very scientific, just kept them moist and in the shade. Your mileage may vary 👍🏻

D

Deleted member 32750

@Adam D I cut some very fresh candles off a small tree around October last year, so they probably weren’t even hardened off yet. Applied hormone and stuck in a pot under a bench. When I checked on them in early Jan they had rooted. I wasn’t very scientific, just kept them moist and in the shade. Your mileage may vary 👍🏻
Nice! I will try this with some of my young vigorous pines this year

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Interesting that my experience is different from @SeanS I have tried lots but never had success with candles in spring or summer. On his success I'm intending to try again with different hormone strengths and conditions.
I have regularly rooted 1 year old sections after summer and winter pruning a range of pine sp. Success is low with only around 10% of cuttings striking. Growth has generally been slow until roots get strong so cuttings only really worth considering if seed is not available or you have access to a tree that has desirable characteristics.

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Marc Comstock does it all the time.. it's amazing

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A friend of mine has a Japanese black pine he is planning on cutting quite a bit off of, and since those trees seem quite difficult to find in the Chicago metro area for a decent price, I was wondering if you can root a cutting of one or not. If it is at all possible, I may attempt it.
I have extra black pine sapling if your interested.

Top Bottom