Is it safe to repot a Boxwood in MI now?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have this boxwood. It's 7 inches high and about 2 inches wide in a 2 gallon pot. Looking to put it in a 4 inch wide 2 1/2 - 3" deep pot this Saturday April 1st in MI. Should I wait for warmer weather? Can I chop that many roots on this sucker? Advice and Guidance are welcome. :)

PXL_20230211_154817639.jpg
DSC_1459.JPG
1680142660907.png

Oz_Fox

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’m in Michigan as well and impatiently waiting for spring 😫 hoping to move a few trees out of the cold frame Sunday! I don’t have an answer to your question but I’m interested in the replies!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m in Michigan as well and impatiently waiting for spring 😫 hoping to move a few trees out of the cold frame Sunday! I don’t have an answer to your question but I’m interested in the replies!
Welcome Aboard! In MI is a good start! We get all the cool trees. (pun intended) :)

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For what it’s worth, In September of 2021 I removed over 2/3s of a boxwoods roots and around half its foliage. That winter we had some exceptionally cold weeks (0-20 F) that killed a few of my trees, but not the boxwood.. So I’d say they’re tough cookies.

Is that weather forecast for your area? If so, you’d probably only need to protect the repotted tree that Saturday night.

I should add that I’m in western Washington. It doesn’t get as cold as Michigan but lately we’ve had comparable temperatures (cooler in the day actually). I repotted some smaller box woods last month and they appear to be fine.

If you decide to put your boxwood into the smaller pot, you could then partially bury it in the 2 gallon to protect the roots.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No.

Do it to the sound of leftover fireworks the day before a full moon, or the few days after.

Done about 15 and never had one die, even ailing ones.

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can repot boxwood mostly anytime in the spring. Healthy plants are extremely tough and pretty much bounce back.

Personally, I wait until the tree is pushing new buds and wait until they're almost ready to open. That's typically in mid-late April. They're the last on my list for repots.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As long as you keep it above freezing after root work it will be fine,
You can repot boxwood mostly anytime in the spring. Healthy plants are extremely tough and pretty much bounce back.

Personally, I wait until the tree is pushing new buds and wait until they're almost ready to open. That's typically in mid-late April. They're the last on my list for repots.
Can I safely chop the roots enough to put it in a two to three inch deep pot?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can I safely chop the roots enough to put it in a two to three inch deep pot?
Depends on the current root structure. If there a lot of fibrous roots near the surface of the soil, then probably. If there are a lot deep, downward growing roots, probably not. Best to work it down gradually to get it into a shallow pot. Once you get lateral roots growing and established, boxwood, in my experience, can take quite shallow pots.

Attachments

• kingsville2.jpg
    kingsville2.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 15
  • literatiboxwood.jpg
    literatiboxwood.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Depends on the current root structure. If there a lot of fibrous roots near the surface of the soil, then probably. If there are a lot deep, downward growing roots, probably not. Best to work it down gradually to get it into a shallow pot. Once you get lateral roots growing and established, boxwood, in my experience, can take quite shallow pots.
There's always a "depends" in this hobby. Thanks Rockm! I appreciate the advice and those are some awesome looking boxwoods. :)

Top Bottom