Is it still possible to stand this F. benjamina up?

Corry

Seed
Reaction score
Hello! This ficus has been in a co-worker's office for yeaaaaars and she's now relinquished it's care to me. I've never done any sort of reshaping/reforming of plants before, so I have no idea about this sort of thing. I'm curious if this ficus can be made to stand up straight again? It's a little under 6 feet tall (well, 6 feet high. I'm sure it'd be taller if it weren't hunched over). If it is possible, how would I go about doing it? First post here, so bear with me if I muck it up.

Ficusbenjamina.JPG

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Just splint it... Not really a bonsai anyway would just splint it like any other house plant

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yeah put something in there to straighten it. It will not due it on its own. Splint it give it some sun!!! and it will come back. There is a TON of info on the web for this tree also. And it is not a bonsai. Try googling Ficus Benjamina bonsai to get an idea of what one would look like. Keep in mind the most Ficus B bonsai are shorter than 24 inches tall.
Here is a beautiful example of one as a bonsai.
image.jpg

Corry

Seed
Reaction score
Ah, ok, thanks. I didn't really think doing this was any sort of true bonsai or anything, but I figured this would be the place to ask about reshaping it so it'll stand up straight. I just didn't know if it was possible at this age.

I also took 3 cuttings from it that I'm rooting that I hope to maybe do some beginner bonsai stuff with, unless I really do need an entirely different type of tree for that.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ah, ok, thanks. I didn't really think doing this was any sort of true bonsai or anything, but I figured this would be the place to ask about reshaping it so it'll stand up straight. I just didn't know if it was possible at this age.

I also took 3 cuttings from it that I'm rooting that I hope to maybe do some beginner bonsai stuff with, unless I really do need an entirely different type of tree for that.

We have used Bamboo Tomato Stakes as they come in up to 6 foot lenghts. Jammed 1-2 all the way into the soil and tied the plant to them using simple string. No need to be tight.

They can and do make a real nice Bonsai so the cuttings are a good idea! Here is a link that you may find helpful down the road http://www.bonsaihunk.us/ficusforum/FicusTechniques.html

Welcome to B-Nut! :D

Corry

Seed
Reaction score
When I posted this, I knew it wasn't actual Bonsai, but I *didn't* have a very full (at all) grasp of what actual bonsai WAS, either. About a week ago for whatever reason, I watched a video from the channel "OrlandoBonsaiTV", and then promptly watched nearly every other video on his channel, too. So uh, NOW I have a better grasp on it, and am coming back here to learn some things because I'm quite interested into getting into Bonsai.

Thought I'd show you the results of staking up that nasty looking ficus above, too.

Ficus Before and After.jpg

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Corry, you picked a good channel to watch on youtube. Paul Pikel actually knows what he's talking about, unlike a lot of other guys on youtube. The reason your ficus is falling over is because it's not getting enough light, so it's growing long and lanky trying to reach for some more light.

Corry

Seed
Reaction score
Corry, you picked a good channel to watch on youtube. Paul Pikel actually knows what he's talking about, unlike a lot of other guys on youtube. The reason your ficus is falling over is because it's not getting enough light, so it's growing long and lanky trying to reach for some more light.

He certainly seemed like he did to me. I learned a ton that will help me with all of my plant care, not just learning bonsai. I've done so much reading on various plant-related things, and almost always they'll say "Do this, not this!" But they don't say WHY. He explains so much about the behavior of plants as they grow, and what will happen when you do this as opposed to what will happen when you do that. He just makes things make sense to me.

And yeah, the ficus was in a co-worker's office with a very narrow window that didn't allow much light in. It should be getting plenty of light where it is now. :) It's in a room where one entire wall is basically a giant window (East-facing). It's right next to the window.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a solution to both your issues. If you cut the six footer to around 1 foot, you will no longer need to stake it upright, and you will soon have a bunch of leaves on the 1-foot trunk (your first bonsai in training!). It will bleed a fair amount of white sap. Soon enough that will stop and you can employ some of the youtube university knowledge you recently gained. I've wanted to do this with trees I see on Craigslist free stuff. It's worth a shot.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ficus Learning

Photo Mar 04, 10 39 03 AM.jpg

Last fall I inherited this ficus from a college greenhouse that was downsizing. This ficus was about 8 feet tall and it had destroyed the grow box it was in. We hacked off the branches, and repotted it (not fully bare rooting it). This is where it is today. It's about 30 inches tall and has budded out everywhere. It needs a lot of design work.

I post it to show you that you can hack this back pretty hard if you want to. Keep it in the most light you can and it should be fine. It grew long and leggy cause it was probably desperate for the right amount of light.

Don't be afraid to hack it back, it will back bud.

Last edited:

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you do cut it back hard make sure to leave some buds or leaves on the branche or trunk because Benjamina experience dieback.

Top Bottom