Is it too early to take my Podocarpus out?

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nightly temperatures will be in low 50s the next 10 days but they may dip into low 40s after that with no chance of frost. Is it too early to take my podocarps out?

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No it will be fine. They are semi frost hardy. So it should be OK. Mine has been in temps down to -2C to no noticeable detriment.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with all of the above. I'd like to add the pod will take a lot more cold than tropicals will, and with no lose of leaves or dieback. When I lived in Richmond, 45+ years ago, I saw several large pods that were kept in unheated garages.
Sure, ficus and some other tropicals can occasionally take a dip to freezing, but it results in a set back for the plant. Other tropicals are dead with one freeze. Your pod is screaming to go out now.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I think I'm good now. We always get a late freeze, which I think was last week, we had 2 consecutive nights in the low 20s after 2+ weeks of springtime!
Should be off the the races now.
We have lows in the 40's yet this week. I think our last hard frost was mid-April last year. I think I'll wait 1 more week. Once they're out, they're out.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@ceriano

I've seen podocarpus planted in people's yards in the city and near the river (the Fan and Windors Farms), along with fatsia and other weird "tropicals."

I don't now where in the city you live but there's some weird microclimates around there, along with the pavement and buildings; you can get away with growing a lot of stuff there.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@ceriano

I've seen podocarpus planted in people's yards in the city and near the river (the Fan and Windors Farms), along with fatsia and other weird "tropicals."

I don't now where in the city you live but there's some weird microclimates around there, along with the pavement and buildings; you can get away with growing a lot of stuff there.
I'm near west end. I took the podo out. I probably wait a couple of weeks before taking other tropicals out.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with all of the above. I'd like to add the pod will take a lot more cold than tropicals will, and with no lose of leaves or dieback. When I lived in Richmond, 45+ years ago, I saw several large pods that were kept in unheated garages.
Sure, ficus and some other tropicals can occasionally take a dip to freezing, but it results in a set back for the plant. Other tropicals are dead with one freeze. Your pod is screaming to go out now.
Taking out early was a mistake I think. I brought it in last night. All the leaves have started to shrivel and die

Attachments

• DD6C9C31-B4CC-4836-8A8D-EE46DCF8B06D.jpeg
    DD6C9C31-B4CC-4836-8A8D-EE46DCF8B06D.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 63
  • F67E07BB-4EF4-4DA9-A5E0-4573E6BEC8E5.jpeg
    F67E07BB-4EF4-4DA9-A5E0-4573E6BEC8E5.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 43

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I hope it survives. Just how cold did it get? The best thing I would say is leave it indoors to recover (mine grows fine indoors) then take it out when you are fully certain that all the cold weather has gone. Put in a light airy place out of direct sunlight for a bit and make sure it isn't over watered.

Edit: Actually where you have next to the blind is probably perfect.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I hope it survives. Just how cold did it get? The best thing I would say is leave it indoors to recover (mine grows fine indoors) then take it out when you are fully certain that all the cold weather has gone. Put in a light airy place out of direct sunlight for a bit and make sure it isn't over watered.

Edit: Actually where you have next to the blind is probably perfect.
Low 40s. Should I put it under grow light? Does misting help?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Anything I can do at this point to save it?

I brought it in ahead of the freeze last night.
Just observe it.. closely.

Lights would always help.

Misting is one of those “touchy issues”... for ME.. it caused MORE problems..
A humidifier works, too.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thats not cold enough to damage a podocarpus. Mine has been out in temps down to high 20s. Could it be something else??
Dang. Yeah. I didn’t even consider that... low 40’s is like the lowest you WANT temps to be for non-dormant temperate species.

Definitely not enough to cause damage.
🤔

Top Bottom