Is it too early to take my Podocarpus out?

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Had it started growing? If not, I would not have repotted.

Time will tell. Give it the rest of the summer to recover.
No but I tried not to disturb the roots. I was worries I had too much fertilizer in the soil. Just gently washed off the top layer and pot it back in moss. I'm still not sure what really killed this tree. It happened so fast.

What are the white spots on the roots? Is that mold? Does the root system look alive?

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not if you buy some of that BBF!

Of working on @ceriano hort skills, just remember the green in everyone's thumb came from dumb luck or dead plants, and we can't afford dumb luck!

Sorce
Of all my trees this happens to be my favorite. Sure it's a dreaded S shape but it's a tree that got me into this hobby :)
I have killed quite a few house plants in the past but this one hurts.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So I have this big podocarpus in a training pot that I tortured indoors during my winter boredom. Then I moved it outside into the shade a couple of months ago, and it just sat there and pouted. Very little foliage thanks to some poorly timed pruning. Then one of the goats got out and found it. Munch, munch, now we are down to almost zero foliage. I gradually transitioned it to full sun after that. Even bark can sunburn if you are not careful.

Well, just the other day when I had just about given up all hope and accepted I was probably looking at an expensive(-ish) education, I noticed some green poking out of a branch. Looked around, and realized these little buds were popping through the bark everywhere! Now it is growing pretty decent, and while I still learned something there, the education wasn't quite as costly as I thought it would have been.

The reason I tell you this is that even though your tree could in fact be dead or almost dead, these seem to be pretty resilient. They are just drama queens. Keep it watered, give it light, and it might just pop out some growth after a while!

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So I have this big podocarpus in a training pot that I tortured indoors during my winter boredom. Then I moved it outside into the shade a couple of months ago, and it just sat there and pouted. Very little foliage thanks to some poorly timed pruning. Then one of the goats got out and found it. Munch, munch, now we are down to almost zero foliage. I gradually transitioned it to full sun after that. Even bark can sunburn if you are not careful.

Well, just the other day when I had just about given up all hope and accepted I was probably looking at an expensive(-ish) education, I noticed some green poking out of a branch. Looked around, and realized these little buds were popping through the bark everywhere! Now it is growing pretty decent, and while I still learned something there, the education wasn't quite as costly as I thought it would have been.

The reason I tell you this is that even though your tree could in fact be dead or almost dead, these seem to be pretty resilient. They are just drama queens. Keep it watered, give it light, and it might just pop out some growth after a while!
I sure do hope so!

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

To echo-on the resiliency/vigor of Podocarpus, my only Podo is one that I collected from the curb....mostly bare-rooted, with FL sun hitting it! Its recovery&acclimation to container-life was about as good as I would've hoped for had I dug-up the specimen myself!!

@luvinthemountains -- I'd love to hear your tips/approaches to developing yours! I'm aiming to (of course!) grow in primaries / structure as quickly as possible on my clump-stump yamadori, it's container-acclimated and about a month ago I cut its final or 'real' trunk-line (initial trunkline was exaggeratedly high, to allow for potential die-back during acclimation to container life!), it showed virtually no distress and has a new flush of vegetative growth on the way now! I did finally do the first wiring this week, I bent some branches' tips below horizontal, for many/most species this causes the "last node before the below horizontal" to pop and "take over" as the new apical growing-tip of the branch, so you get much of the effect of pruning w/o having to give-up plant tissue...IE growing a skeleton/structure quicker!

Any pics of yours floating online by chance? Would love a url to see, if so :D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd love to hear your tips/approaches to developing yours!

I will say let's follow each other's and learn together. Not much development happening at the moment as the tree is taking time to recover from my bone-headed mistake of early spring defoliation. I was excited to style the tree this summer, but unfortunately the die-back has been a huge set-back. :(

Here is the thread on mine: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/fatty-podocarpus-or-dont-laugh-at-my-dead-wood.48088/

Top Bottom