Is it too late in the season to root trim and re-pot?

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
So I'm fairly new to bonsai's, about 2 months in. 3 weeks ago I purchased a couple of Bonsai's from an elderly woman who recently became wheelchair bound and was unable to care for the trees any longer. 1 is a 25yr old Ficus and the other is a 10yr old Hawaiian Umbrella. Both trees around the 3 year mark since their last root trim and re-pot and are fairly root bound at the moment. My question is, is it too late in the season to give them a root trim and re-pot them? Both are indoor trees but I do try to give them 2-4 hours of sunshine time either in the morning or later afternoon when temps aren't so hot.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome.

Put your location in your info. Will help with accurate advice.

If by umbrella, you mean Schefflera, then now is fine.

Ficus, you can wait till July, and go for it.

Pics? If you got em, post em.

They need more light or they will die.

Maybe not the Schefflera. It's like a cockaroach. Needs some serious neglect to die.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Both tree's sit in front of a window that has sunshine pretty much all day, do they need more than that? Yes, by Umbrella I do indeed mean Schefflera. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them up. Thanks for the advice.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Both are considered Tropicals....
If you can get them outside for the summer you'll be good!

Tropicals can be repotted in summer...
Any local stuff is better repotted in spring.
With a few exceptions.

Just note summer reporting isn't for all.

And I prefer spring for Tropicals too.

Sorce

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Perfect time to repot tropicals here in ABQ. I actually think I talked to you the other day. I work over at Rehms nursery.
Send me a PM and I can probably help you out.

Aaron

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes to what Aaron and Sorce said.

If they can be outdoors, leave em outdoors for the summer. I'm not familiar with your climate, as I'm much more north of you, so I can't suggest what to do over the winter, but I know that your trees will thank you for being put outdoors now. The ficus might drop a few leaves, but that's normal. Don't forget to mist. They love dem der humidity uh huh.

Alternatively if you can't put them outdoors, and they sit in a window with sun all day, that will be fine too, but don't forget to mist, and rotate them once in a while.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone! Aaron, yes indeed that was me:) Here's a couple of pics of the two tree's.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, we where expecting some S shapes with glued rocks on them, ghehe. You first tree's look very good man! Welcome to the forum.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Actually not bad tree's there - I'd chop them low and put them outside and fertilize with organics - you can root prune too - both are tough tree's in my experience

Top Bottom