Is it too late in the year to carve on my bald cypress?

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The DeWalt cordless die-grinder I ordered should be arriving today. I can't wait to start using it and I think I have just the tree. My question is about timing. If I carve on the base of this tree at this time of year, will it affect the tree's overall health?

IMG_20220808_075849181_HDR.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The DeWalt cordless die-grinder I ordered should be arriving today. I can't wait to start using it and I think I have just the tree. My question is about timing. If I carve on the base of this tree at this time of year, will it affect the tree's overall health?

View attachment 450633
You are killin' me Bill.

I jumped on the thread because I just carved my BCs. Then I saw your name and the post :D

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You are killin' me Bill.

I jumped on the thread because I just carved my BCs. Then I saw your name and the post :D
When the grinder comes in, I'll get right to work. My carbide bits are around here somewhere. They should make quick work of the job.

I'll post a follow-up photo either tonight or tomorrow. Depends on the number of stitches I get at the ER.

BTW, the DeWalt cordless grinder was $58 less than retail on Amazon when I ordered it. Right now it is $70 off retail.
Only 6 left in stock. This is not an affiliate link. I have no experience with this tool, so I'm not recommending it to anyone. If one of you are likely going to end up in the ER using this tool, I'm DEFINITELY not recommending this tool. However, it doesn't come with a battery or bits, so if any of you are idiots, you're safe.

Always count your fingers before and after carving.

casun

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The tree looks nearly indestructible. I’d be comfortable carving that beast with a chainsaw.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just for carving inspiration, this guy is pretty handy with a chainsaw
leatherface-texas-chainsaw.gif

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Wow, perfect !! And I’m not talking about the power tools
You're definitely not talking about the tool. The thumbnail has me scratching my head. The chainsaws were arrayed on the ground and I'm thinking "Blade is upside down. Is there something about the geometry of the bar that makes the cut different? Or were they dumb enough to not notice that the bar is upside down and that means the chain is running backwards?" Sure enough, the saw wouldn't cut. "Dumbass," I thought. I bought my first chainsaw after Hurricane Ida, last year. That's the kind of mistake I would make. Then there was a question as to whether or not turning the bar right-side-up would fix its ability to cut. "YES!" I yelled.

Guy #1 did a fine job of cutting the tree. Guy #2 looked like I would if I were cutting that tree.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You're definitely not talking about the tool. The thumbnail has me scratching my head. The chainsaws were arrayed on the ground and I'm thinking "Blade is upside down. Is there something about the geometry of the bar that makes the cut different? Or were they dumb enough to not notice that the bar is upside down and that means the chain is running backwards?" Sure enough, the saw wouldn't cut. "Dumbass," I thought. I bought my first chainsaw after Hurricane Ida, last year. That's the kind of mistake I would make. Then there was a question as to whether or not turning the bar right-side-up would fix its ability to cut. "YES!" I yelled.

Guy #1 did a fine job of cutting the tree. Guy #2 looked like I would if I were cutting that tree.
The saw will run perfectly fine with the bar upside down, as long as the chain is on correctly. Maybe whoever put the bars on was “distracted” too 😁

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Lol I didn’t even watch the video ..

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Update: The tool came in. It's great! At 25000 rpm the bit carved my tree with a feather's touch. I hope you got your DeWalt DCG426B cordless grinder yesterday. It's $12 more expensive today.

When the center rots out, this is going to be badass.
IMG_20220809_135006687_HDR.jpg

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Update: The tool came in. It's great! At 25000 rpm the bit carved my tree with a feather's touch. I hope you got your DeWalt DCG426B cordless grinder yesterday. It's $12 more expensive today.

When the center rots out, this is going to be badass.
View attachment 450756
Wow even Will Baddeley couldn’t compete

casun

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Beautiful carving work. If the tree were mine I’d take a torch to it to really add some age.

Top Bottom