Is it too late to collect an Elm

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
I spotted a nice American Elm growing in front of an Abandoned School. Its about four feet tall with multiple trunks. I sent an email asking for permission and they said yes. The group that now owns the property are putting in community gardens and doing a lot of good things.
I just want to know if it is too late to dig up this prize? Help me Obi Wan, or whoever knows more about collecting than me.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If this is your one chance at it, what have you got to lose? It's probably worth a shot.

More details might help someone else give better advice for your climate - is it fully leafed out already?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I dug one in full leaf last week, it's already got 4 inch shoots. Elms are tough SOB's, my personal rule for digging them is anything between 90° and 40° for the following couple weeks after collection and they always do fine.

Aaron

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
I would guess that they would soon clean up the flower bed in which the tree is growing sometime this summer. I really doubt that i can wait until next April. There's also some decent Maples growing . At worse I help the Community Group with some free labor. Will post some pics tomorrow.

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
20160609_124050.jpg 20160609_124058.jpg 20160609_124106.jpg 20160609_124143.jpg Finally got around to taking sorry pics of the trees I have permission to collect. The elm is a little intimidating the base is far thicker than thought. The flower bed is heavily overgrown it's gonna take some serious sweat to get this done.

Top Bottom