Is it too late to repot Japanese larch

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thinking about repotting it tomorrow if I can, just need a 2nd or 3rd opinion if it’s too late or not. Thanks guys !!!

8842CDD5-EB4E-4962-8E47-D3D23AF6A0D6.jpeg

Gran_Puma

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Other members have more experience with Larch, but I would repot ASAP before the buds open any further. You are cutting it super close before I would just leave it for another year.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I was planning on tomorrow if it’s still ok. Thanks

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Too late as far as Im concerned

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I trust Mr.V, but most of us lack his experience and skill.
I was taught only repot when buds are still shiny and before green paint brushes show.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I wouldn't repot now with the growth you have, but if you do please let us know how it went and how much of the root mass you remove. We could all use the lesson.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
So… went ahead with the repot today on the Japanese larch. Took off about 20% of the roots, mostly the circling roots around the pot. I was spraying the roots while doing it to keep it moist. Got her in a nice Shuho. I like it. I’ll let you guys know how it’s doing. Weather here currently is about 60 day time and 40 night time.

Old Yamakii
F9A5DEC3-46DE-4D8C-B186-1EB4B77792A0.jpeg

New Shuho

9665D610-0D25-4474-A340-1AAA7EA75161.jpegB814FAF2-BFF9-4F4F-8522-259C177CBBD7.jpeg

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Yes, great tree. Looks like an old wizard should be having a picnic beneath it!
Did you notice and bud drooping or curling after the repot? Part shade for a few days?

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh! That's awesome! My experience is with our Western Larch and I don't know how they compare, but I have found them to be very resilient.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yes, great tree. Looks like an old wizard should be having a picnic beneath it!
Did you notice and bud drooping or curling after the repot? Part shade for a few days?
Time to find wizard madmen to put underneath 😂😂🙄

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice to see Grouper's tree is doing well. I always loved that Larch and it was my favorite tree of his (which is saying a lot cuz he had many very nice trees). Looking great!

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Nice to see Grouper's tree is doing well. I always loved that Larch and it was my favorite tree of his (which is saying a lot cuz he had many very nice trees). Looking great!
That’s my favorite tree in my collection, I am very lucky to have had the chance to acquired it. A lot of people say larches don’t do well here in DC area because it gets so hot in the summer, but since I owned it for about 3 years it’s been growing great despite being in a shallow pot. Constantly have to trim every few weeks in the summer. Cheers.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I need to take some time out and try to take some decent pics of my trees, my photos are crap, sorry lol

Top Bottom