Is it too late to repot these? Boxwood and Yew

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have a couple of nursery stock finds that I am wondering if its too late to repot.

Purchased this boxwood microphylla from lowes at the start of the spring. It was a good 3ft tall ad a nice twisting trunk and some good flare.
I immediately began reducing it, I got a huge flush of growth, reduced it slightly again a few weeks back.

Its pushing another good flush of growth currently.

My question is, do I reduce it once again to use all those fresh backbuds to start taking over and wire it? Or repot this now? Is it too late in the season?

Did the same process with this Brown Yew, not as vigorous growth as the boxwood but curious if I should repot this as well?

I would but both into pond baskets with good bonsai soil and let them rest for a while if I do repot. I am planning on keeping both trees outdoors all winter, I live in Eastern Iowa, will mulch them in good and build some sort of windbreak. This is my first year in bonsai so I want to learn on all types of trees. I know these aren't the best starter stock but I see some potential, thanks in advance

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Someone from closer to your climate and with more experience with these species can advise you on the repot timing, but I don’t think you want to repot buxus while they are actively putting on a lot of growth. You may risk exhausting the tree’s resources and setting it back somewhat, although it seems healthy.
I did that to a boxwood when I first started in bonsai, and it ended up weak and pouty for a couple seasons. Late summer dormancy and spring have worked best for boxwood for me in my climate. If it were mine, I’d be inclined to let it rest for a season, but I’ve been keeping mostly collected spruce and pine lately, so they have trained me to be cautious. Good icky with them. I know both species can make very nice bonsai.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Someone from closer to your climate and with more experience with these species can advise you on the repot timing, but I don’t think you want to repot buxus while they are actively putting on a lot of growth. You may risk exhausting the tree’s resources and setting it back somewhat, although it seems healthy.
I did that to a boxwood when I first started in bonsai, and it ended up weak and pouty for a couple seasons. Late summer dormancy and spring have worked best for boxwood for me in my climate. If it were mine, I’d be inclined to let it rest for a season, but I’ve been keeping mostly collected spruce and pine lately, so they have trained me to be cautious. Good icky with them. I know both species can make very nice bonsai.
I am pretty sure that it isn't a climate thing.
After mid-July AND when new growth is not extending. Pauses in extensive growth are 'dormancy' by some definitions. It commonly happens with many species around Aug/Sep.

Some species, such as elms and zelkova, don't ever stop extending new growth but can be bare root repotted after the summer solstice, regardless.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am pretty sure that it isn't a climate thing.
After mid-July AND when new growth is not extending. Pauses in extensive growth are 'dormancy' by some definitions. It commonly happens with many species around Aug/Sep.

Some species, such as elms and zelkova, don't ever stop extending new growth but can be bare root repotted after the summer solstice, regardless.
Thank you, Ill hold off for a couple of weeks and monitor closely

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I work box hard in the pot it dies over winter.

You could have repotted it with the last trim, as they do seem to like an equal top and bottom reduction.

You are in a sort of pickle, as it will be slightly out of balance if repotted now (now being at the next full moon).

But I would repot it. Cuz it would surely die over winter in that pot for me.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce, why do you say that? Im curious and still learning.

If I cut a box 2-3 times and leave it in the black nursery pot, it dies.

But Cutting the top and bottom by 80% and throwing them in tiny pots works fine.

I have a few Boxwood threads that have some of this documented.

These are all dead I reckon.

Everything in small pots has made it thru a negative 23 degree winter...or 2 or 3.

All the ones left in black pots are dead!

Oh...reckon some of it has to do with the Little green balls of death.

Sorce

Top Bottom