Is it too late?

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
I've had intentions on cleaning up my juniper to prepare it for its first pot in February or March. I want to clean the trunks by removing the bark and exposing the redish trunk as well as I've noticed a couple random critters hiding under a piece or two. Also I need to finish some detail cleaning and light carving on some dead and punky areas. My question is is it too late to complete all this with the addition of lime sulfer?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had intentions on cleaning up my juniper to prepare it for its first pot in February or March. I want to clean the trunks by removing the bark and exposing the redish trunk as well as I've noticed a couple random critters hiding under a piece or two. Also I need to finish some detail cleaning and light carving on some dead and punky areas. My question is is it too late to complete all this with the addition of lime sulfer?
This is work which can be done any time of the year!

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Thanks I think my biggest concern is the cleaning of the punky wood and possibly exposing some of the live tissue in the process and the tree not having time to heal. Would that be an issue?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks I think my biggest concern is the cleaning of the punky wood and possibly exposing some of the live tissue in the process and the tree not having time to heal. Would that be an issue?
If you mean "accidentally" exposing, for sure not.
If you mean "creating new deadwood by purposely exposing a large section of live tissue": Yeah, that might be an issue (Although I also do that when I feel like it, and now when the tree dictates it. I do not like to freeze my fingers, so normally under non-freezing circumstances)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It depends how well the tree is tied in.

Sorce

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah I’ve successfully created jins and sharis and cleaned bark and crotch growth on multiple different juniper species this time of year. I have also made major bends in branches needing major bending. 2 biggest things I don’t do anymore this time of year is repot and extensively thin this years growth and growing tips.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
It depends how well the tree is tied in.

Sorce
One of the other reasons I was hesitant also was one post you brought up the question of removing the bark could be equivalent to removing the tree's jacket. With weather predicted lows in the high 40s I just wanted to make sure it was ok

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
One of the other reasons I was hesitant also was one post you brought up the question of removing the bark could be equivalent to removing the tree's jacket. With weather predicted lows in the high 40s I just wanted to make sure it was ok
There isn't any real insulating benefit to the exterior bark as trees don't produce heat like warm blooded animals do... and you live in GA where the winters are pretty mild... and it's a juniper... not a problem ;) .

Top Bottom