Is it worth the price

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm starting to see that now probably why paradox advise to save my money for better quality material he ment save up my money for better material
Hi! I am about 5 minutes from you! What nursery are this at?
Drive 90 minutes north to Plant City bonsai. He will have similar trees. Some will likely be less expensive with thicker trunks.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I wager within 50 miles of Hampton, Georgia you have native stands of bald cypress. Should you want to dig one yourself, the time to scout for them is winter. Head to "bottom lands", check rail road right of ways through swamps. When the trees are bare, you can see through the thickets, and the cottonmouth water moccasin snakes are hibernating, so they won't bother you.

The cottonmouth is the only venomous snake that scares me. Rattlesnakes are easy to avoid, cottonmouths are aggressive and unpredictable. Less easy to avoid.

Definitely check out Plant City.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Hi! I am about 5 minutes from you! What nursery are this at?
Drive 90 minutes north to Plant City bonsai. He will have similar trees. Some will likely be less expensive with thicker trunks.
Millpond gardens is the name of the nursery its in brooks ga.
I wager within 50 miles of Hampton, Georgia you have native stands of bald cypress. Should you want to dig one yourself, the time to scout for them is winter. Head to "bottom lands", check rail road right of ways through swamps. When the trees are bare, you can see through the thickets, and the cottonmouth water moccasin snakes are hibernating, so they won't bother you.

The cottonmouth is the only venomous snake that scares me. Rattlesnakes are easy to avoid, cottonmouths are aggressive and unpredictable. Less easy to avoid.

Definitely check out Plant City.
Man I was sooo hyped to go searching this winter until you started naming snakes. So yeah I'm gonna take a good long look at plant city😅😅😅

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Millpond gardens is the name of the nursery its in brooks ga.
Man I was sooo hyped to go searching this winter until you started naming snakes. So yeah I'm gonna take a good long look at plant city😅😅😅
I have been there several times. It is a nice nursery but material for bonsai is kind of sparse.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Winter into early spring its safe in them swamps. The gators and the snakes hibernate until about the time the trees leaf out. So winter is safe. Summer, not so much.
Gators too!!! I'm gonna have to take out an extra insurance policy after this coaching session. Seriously thanks I've actually been researching to see what area are more common to hold bald cypress. I may even take a few trips to see if I can locate a couple accessible areas. Kinda excited. Thanks

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I got 3 last year at Lowes for $20 each. They were all over 10’ so I chopped them back to under 3’ and they have grown like crazy and are part of my new forest group. since ou are in Lowes may be open now.

CA88E8FE-8B7D-41A7-AFAC-283383228AD3.jpeg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Gators too!!! I'm gonna have to take out an extra insurance policy after this coaching session. Seriously thanks I've actually been researching to see what area are more common to hold bald cypress. I may even take a few trips to see if I can locate a couple accessible areas. Kinda excited. Thanks

I have only brief visits to your area. I've wandered a little around Fort Valley, also a little tiny town of Reynolds. In Reynolds, the factory for the company I worked for at the time, they would occasionally have to shoo alligators out of the parking lot. There was a creek that paralleled the rail road siding, where the gators lived and it was lined with bald cypress. My thought is, rail road right of ways often cross swamps, and can provide access to otherwise difficult to access swamps. Now collecting from the edge of railroad right of ways technically is collecting from private property, but if one is observant of basic safety, avoiding walking on the tracks, etc. you are unlikely to have problems. If you want to get permission, where a railroad crosses a road, and there are warning gates, there is normally signage that lists ownership of that stretch of track and usually includes a phone number. You can start there if you want permission. Or you can just ask forgiveness in the unlikely case you get stopped.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have a 20 thousand dollar vision, and you're half right, $150 is a small investment.

How certain are you of your vision?

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is a regular nursery the first 1 i have no idea it looks like a graft but I didn't know people graft bald cypress. The second i was told lost its leader and a new one grew in its place. I love the third and the idea of that second branch making a double trunk, maybe.
this is a grafted tree. It looks to me like it is the Peve Minaret cultivar--a dwarf cultivar grown for its tight foliage. I've seen these at local nurseries here in Va. I'd pass on it. It's foliage looks odd because it is so dense. Little branching to be had also. The main BC species is superior for bonsai and easily available. I'd second checking out Zach Smith at bonsai-south for BC. He has a knack for getting very nice BC--if you can get one. If his collected trees are sold out, it's worth looking at nurseries (or on neighbors property) for one. At this point, far past ideal collection time for them in the wild (and the snakes and gators are out and relatively active), I'd bet a relatively nice, already containerized nursery BC could be had for $150. Remember, you're only buying the first third of the trunk--the remainder is going to be chopped and replaced with new growth as you train the tree.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
If you have a 20 thousand dollar vision, and you're half right, $150 is a small investment.

How certain are you of your vision?

Sorce
Honestly after thinking more of what I want which is the nice wide fluted trunk with slight movement i think the collect in the wild may be the option im looking for in the mean time I've got these 2 little poor souls for $15 each, that will serve as training subjects

Attachments

• 20200427_152441.jpg
    20200427_152441.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200427_152709.jpg
    20200427_152709.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 18

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
I have only brief visits to your area. I've wandered a little around Fort Valley, also a little tiny town of Reynolds. In Reynolds, the factory for the company I worked for at the time, they would occasionally have to shoo alligators out of the parking lot. There was a creek that paralleled the rail road siding, where the gators lived and it was lined with bald cypress. My thought is, rail road right of ways often cross swamps, and can provide access to otherwise difficult to access swamps. Now collecting from the edge of railroad right of ways technically is collecting from private property, but if one is observant of basic safety, avoiding walking on the tracks, etc. you are unlikely to have problems. If you want to get permission, where a railroad crosses a road, and there are warning gates, there is normally signage that lists ownership of that stretch of track and usually includes a phone number. You can start there if you want permission. Or you can just ask forgiveness in the unlikely case you get stopped.
Thanks Leo you have managed to scare the hell out of me with snakes,gators and criminal trespassing ( won't be the first time) and still continue to have me excited to look for bald cypress In my area. Your awesome keep the info coming!!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good idea.

Learning on $15 is better than $150!

BC became a "commodity".

Now that people like them, they're sold in a range that, let's be honest, will never ever ever be a Bc BC! Like the one you want.

If it's in a pot, and it shouldn't be, were being sold BS.

There are plenty of pre bonsai growers who won't charge you more $ for a tree in a shit Chinese pot, you'll pay the same $ for a tree with actual potential.

Sorce

Top Bottom