Is my Carmona dying?

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hello people, I am new to the bonsai forum and to the tradition itself. Recently I have 2 ficuses, a dwarf jade and a pachira aquatica. 2 months ago i have ordered a carmona bonsai from a online nursery to add it to my collection. However, as soon as i got the tree i have noticed some little black dots on nearly all of its foliage. It didn't bother me at first but then gradually i released that it continued to spread to the rest of the healthy foliage. I've made several researches and found that those blacks dots could be the issue of some mold/fungus. Since i have it on my south windowstill with the rest of my healthy trees, i thought i should defoliate it and prevent the spread of fungus. (probably an amateur mistake). I also had to repot it since its soil was hard like a brick that didn't let any water in. It was all happened in at the begginning of March. And now we are in May and still got no new sprouts. I am really worried about my tree since im really connected to it and i hope you guys would help me to keeping it alive. You may find the before/after pictures below.

Attachments

• 40A53C3C-59ED-478D-98C4-67E724B73973.jpeg
    40A53C3C-59ED-478D-98C4-67E724B73973.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 41
  • BD53998D-0F5A-46D0-A83D-6D95357BC155.jpeg
    BD53998D-0F5A-46D0-A83D-6D95357BC155.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 057E0273-523C-42DE-AA91-2961D597A5B8.jpeg
    057E0273-523C-42DE-AA91-2961D597A5B8.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 0A630BAA-A2F4-4125-AD87-CC25B53557AE.jpeg
    0A630BAA-A2F4-4125-AD87-CC25B53557AE.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 5D7A60A8-197C-43F8-93EF-802F0B8AC56E.jpeg
    5D7A60A8-197C-43F8-93EF-802F0B8AC56E.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 43

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
With balanced cables?

Welcome to Crazy!

Less tree more synth!

Sorce
Haha thank you Sorce i'll make sure i post more synths in the future :) but what about my carmona? Do you know whats going on with it?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They're like the goldfish of bonsai, iffin the goldfish was addicted to crack.

Almost all the many problems are best solved by forgetting they exist.

Sorce

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
They're like the goldfish of bonsai, iffin the goldfish was addicted to crack.

Almost all the many problems are best solved by forgetting they exist.

Sorce
I already named it.. do you even know what it means? Someone on other forums says that it is already dead.. is it true just tell me!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks dead but only you have it in hand.
It has a poor reputation as a tropical bonsai and most people lose them. I don't find them difficult.

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Looks dead but only you have it in hand.
It has a poor reputation as a tropical bonsai and most people lose them. I don't find them difficult.
Thanks for your comment. I also find them easy as hell but this time i am a victim of that nursery. By the way is there any reliable way to understand whether my tree is dead or not?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they dry, they die.
The black spot you described is a natural consequence of older leaves dying on my plants, and not a disease as I see it. First the spots, then turn yellow, then drop as new leaves come in.
Scratching the trunk on these will probably tell you if they are dead or alive. Green under bark is good, brown is bad.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just noticed you said you did this work in March and we are now in May. Its April for me and that means it has been about a month. It may be alive and still to bud out. Give it light and warmth and wait and see.

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If they dry, they die.
The black spot you described is a natural consequence of older leaves dying on my plants, and not a disease as I see it. First the spots, then turn yellow, then drop as new leaves come in.
Scratching the trunk on these will probably tell you if they are dead or alive. Green under bark is good, brown is bad.
So you literally saying that i defoliated my tree for a nonesense? I thought they were fungus because eventually they continued to spread on other healthy foliage. Why do Carmonas do that?
Just noticed you said you did this work in March and we are now in May. Its April for me and that means it has been about a month. It may be alive and still to bud out. Give it light and warmth and wait and see.
Omg sorry my bad... we are in April not May of course.. Yea it has been a month and i wont't give up till the mid summer. I wish it is still alive. Actually i dont wanna damage the trunk because it is still so sensitive. Gonna try and wait for a new foliage till summer. If nothing happens i guess it is over..

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So you literally saying that i defoliated my tree for a nonesense? I thought they were fungus because eventually they continued to spread on other healthy foliage. Why do Carmonas do that?
Don't know. Can only reply to the state of my plants.
Omg sorry my bad... we are in April not May of course.. Yea it has been a month and i wont't give up till the mid summer. I wish it is still alive. Actually i dont wanna damage the trunk because it is still so sensitive. Gonna try and wait for a new foliage till summer. If nothing happens i guess it is over..
I would think you would see movement within a few weeks if it is alive.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
We should start a counter with all the carmonas, serissas and other mallsais that end like that... the numbers sure will be atonishing 🤣 (not your fault turkish friend they are very dificult to keep alive in that soil)

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Did you scratch the surface of the trunk to see if it's green? Take a small sharp knife and very! lightly scrape the surface of the trunk. If you see green the tree is alive. If not the tree is dead.

If the trunk is green do the same with snips on each branch. Cut an inch off the tip of a branch and look at the inside. If you see green it's alive. If brown, keep clipping until you see green. Don't bother doing this if the trunk is not green underneath.

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
We should start a counter with all the carmonas, serissas and other mallsais that end like that... the numbers sure will be atonishing 🤣 (not your fault turkish friend they are very dificult to keep alive in that soil)
The feedbacks of this particular tree were magnificent on that online nursery shop i bought with some great pictures from the buyers. I guess i am the only who sucked and blamed that shop for bringing me ill tree. But great news, i scratch the trunk and its still green. So still got hopes right? As a mood boster, I've been playing kalimba (made of camphor tree) especially to my carmona everyday 😂

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Did you scratch the surface of the trunk to see if it's green? Take a small sharp knife and very! lightly scrape the surface of the trunk. If you see green the tree is alive. If not the tree is dead.

If the trunk is green do the same with snips on each branch. Cut an inch off the tip of a branch and look at the inside. If you see green it's alive. If brown, keep clipping until you see green. Don't bother doing this if the trunk is not green underneath.
Well the trunk is green and the very top branch is also green but i didn't check their tip. I did it on the very bottom of it so i am kinda scared to do pruning at this time since i dont know what is going to happen to him. Still got hopes? What more i should do?

Top Bottom