Is my Japanese Maple happy? (NYC)

hmariahf

Seed
Reaction score
Hello! I have a potted Japanese Maple that I got in April. It has seemed very lush and happy until this week when I noticed some of the leaves had turned brown and shriveled and some others had turned from bright green to yellow/pinkish. It receives morning light from about 9:30am to 1:30pm. I have not been watering the tree regularly because it seemed happy collecting just rainwater and I didn't want to upset a good thing. Now I am worried it may be underwatered. I want to do the right thing but don't want to water more if improper drainage is the issue. Thank you so much, I love this tree.

Attachments

• IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0522.jpg
    IMG_0522.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0523.jpg
    IMG_0523.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 52

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome to the nut house! It me it looks like leaves getting shaded out. More experienced folk may have better insight. Also, if you could add your location it will help the folks here give you more location specific advice.

hmariahf

Seed
Reaction score
Welcome to the nut house! It me it looks like leaves getting shaded out. More experienced folk may have better insight. Also, if you could add your location it will help the folks here give you more location specific advice.
Thank you! I am in NYC. The majority of the leaves which are turning color are sort of inside and underneath and not on the outside or the top of the tree if that helps.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Those leaves, apparently inside the canopy, may be yellowing out due to lack of light, but can't be sure without close inspection to rule out other causes. Drought stressed leaves will usually be on the exterior and brown along the edges. I assume you're using potting soil in the container? It's more moisture retentive than bonsai soil but you absolutely can't rely on rain to keep the soil moisture in a good place all the time... got to check at least every other day if not daily when it's hot/dry.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have noted that rain is often not enough for trees with large canopy. Rain hits outer leaves then drips onto lower leaves but each time is directed outward as well as down. You may have sheltered under a tree canopy in a rain storm? Most rain water is directed to the outer edge of the canopy and therefore misses the pot completely. I now water trees with larger, dense leaf cover even after rain. Don't just rely on rain. Check soil moisture regularly to see if the pot needs water.
Light is definitely another factor in yellowing interior leaves and becomes increasingly important as the canopy becomes more dense.
If you just want an outer canopy there's no need to worry while the outer leaves are green and healthy but if you need to preserve inner foliage and smaller inner branches you will need to leaf prune occasionally to allow more sun to reach the interior.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you been around to see it will at all?

Welcome to Crazy!

Seems like it wilted and the external foliage may have been laying upon the now yellow, which a rain may have caused to "rot" before it broke free with new life.

Reckon this would be a greater problem with such foilage that would intertwine worse than most others, holding the leaves together long enough to cause it.

Sorce

Top Bottom