Is my JBP too young for maintenance?

Nacho Business

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I decided not to repot or pinch my new JBP this year, should I skip needle plucking, decandling, branch selection ???

Attachments

• 90487974-D476-46C1-B86C-52110EBC0517.jpeg
    90487974-D476-46C1-B86C-52110EBC0517.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 101

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I would pot into that bigger container you have the plastic pot sitting in. I would remove any needles necessary to put some low movement into the trunk (unless you are shooting for an upright). And I would fertilize the fuck out of it.

Nacho Business

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you not think it’s too late in the season to repot? I want to do it but scared to shock the tree

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Do you not think it’s too late in the season to repot? I want to do it but scared to shock the tree
Yes, wait. In the fall, you can pull last year’s needles, and leave the shoots circled in red. These will be your future primary branches and/or next section of trunk. For now, feed and water well.
06F431B3-838E-4EA5-A43B-C43631589CCF.jpeg

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yes, wait. In the fall, you can pull last year’s needles, and leave the shoots circled in red. These will be your future primary branches and/or next section of trunk. For now, feed and water well.
View attachment 430714
I also like the idea of getting some movement into the trunk, but listen to BVF, he’s good. I couldn’t help myself, I saw a face in his picture so you’re welcome for this…..

9A7D4295-99C9-47A0-8C55-7113A96B297A.jpeg
🤭😂

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I decided not to repot or pinch my new JBP this year, should I skip needle plucking, decandling, branch selection ???
Your question indicates that it would be wise for you to become familiar with the stages of development that are involved with JBP. Once you have a grasp of the process used the next step is to understand which techniques are used in conjunction with the development stages.
There are some very good articles written by Jonas Dupuich on developing JBP. They can be found on his website " Bonsai Tonight" . I would recommend that you spend some time reviewing those articles or similar material before proceeding to follow the advice of others.
based on the age and size of your material the good news is that you have several years to figure this out.;)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Your question indicates that it would be wise for you to become familiar with the stages of development that are involved with JBP. Once you have a grasp of the process used the next step is to understand which techniques are used in conjunction with the development stages.
There are some very good articles written by Jonas Dupuich on developing JBP. They can be found on his website " Bonsai Tonight" . I would recommend that you spend some time reviewing those articles or similar material before proceeding to follow the advice of others.
based on the age and size of your material the good news is that you have several years to figure this out.;)
Posts like this run off people who can actually help, though I doubt it was your intent. Why bother posting help when someone else just shows up and says, “don’t listen to that guy trying to help you, go find someone else somewhere else”. It reduces the forum to an echo chamber of reposts by newbies. This site has 24,000+ members, how many true contributors do you think can put a tree in a high-profile show, .5%? 120 is pretty generous, maybe it’s half of that, which leaves a lot of chaff to sift. You know what you’re doing with JBP, share it.

But you have a point, Jonas is talented, very friendly, and has a great blog. OP: maybe you should send that photo to Jonas and share his reply here. Also, find someone who has trees you admire, and do what they do. Eventually your trees will start to look like theirs.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Posts like this run off people who can actually help, though I doubt it was your intent. Why bother posting help when someone else just shows up and says, “don’t listen to that guy trying to help you, go find someone else somewhere else”. It reduces the forum to an echo chamber of reposts by newbies. This site has 24,000+ members, how many true contributors do you think can put a tree in a high-profile show, .5%? 120 is pretty generous, maybe it’s half of that, which leaves a lot of chaff to sift. You know what you’re doing with JBP, share it.

But you have a point, Jonas is talented, very friendly, and has a great blog. OP: maybe you should send that photo to Jonas and share his reply here. Also, find someone who has trees you admire, and do what they do. Eventually your trees will start to look like theirs.
Yeah I can see how you might interpret my words in that direction. I agree.
Definitely not my intent. Nor did I intend to offend you personally, as it appears I have done.
The easiest answer would be to encourage the direction the OP was intending or say something simple like water and feed it.
I thought the OP deserved to be pointed in a clearer direction. My response gave them the opportunity to discover the answers for themselves and progress if that is what they were interested in. Then they would be better equipped to sort the wheat from the chaff which was clearly needed based on the way the question was worded.
I am not sure why that would discourage others who are knowledgeable from providing guidance.
I do not feel it is the intent of those who frequent Bonsai Nut to limit their exposure to the available resources on one site or one group of posters. nor do I think it is a bad thing to be open to other approaches.

Nacho Business

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you!

Top Bottom