Is my Juniper dead?

Moosleyh

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, I bought a Juniper a week ago but I didnt do a scratch test to check the cambium layer. Now, after a week I did a check and it's white inside on various places. At the trunk as wel as the branches. Is this normal during colder periods or is there no life in the tree anymore?

Since the leafs look very lifely I just didnt bother to check, but its kinda weird to me that the tree doesn't look dead at all but the inside is white...

Location is Netherlands if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Juniper 1.jpg
    Juniper 1.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Juniper 2.jpg
    Juniper 2.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Juniper 3.jpg
    Juniper 3.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Juniper 4.jpg
    Juniper 4.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Juniper 5.jpg
    Juniper 5.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Juniper 6.jpg
    Juniper 6.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Juniper 7.jpg
    Juniper 7.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Juniper 8.jpg
    Juniper 8.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 99

Moosleyh

Seedling
Reaction score
Look healthy to me with full green top. I’m by no means a juniper expert.
Yeah it does to me as well not considering the cambium layer. Though that;s exactly what is worrying me. It should be green inside but it's not.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Well, there is a chance you scratched a dead vein in the trunk.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
If its still got a full canopy of lush green foliage the chances are there is really not much wrong with it so why worry? Probably best to stop scratching it !

Moosleyh

Seedling
Reaction score
If its still got a full canopy of lush green foliage the chances are there is really not much wrong with it so why worry? Probably best to stop scratching it !
I had a recent experience with my Azalea rhododendron that wasn't doing good. I posted a thread on here as well. Most of the leafs were brown and were falling off. I took some action, contacted the nursery I got it from and it turns out it's super alive, but affected and will be treated. Unfortunately my other bonsai, a Acer Deshojo, didn't make it as it was super dead inside.

This experience made me check all my bonsai's cambium layer and that's how I discovered this about my juniper. I think I've been a bit too worried, but hopefully because of this experience I'll get better at taking care of them.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Scratch test just introduces more cuts for more pests and diseases. Rarely solves any problems. Just look at the trees to see if they are healthy.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello, I bought a Juniper a week ago but I didnt do a scratch test to check the cambium layer. Now, after a week I did a check and it's white inside on various places. At the trunk as wel as the branches. Is this normal during colder periods or is there no life in the tree anymore?

Since the leafs look very lifely I just didnt bother to check, but its kinda weird to me that the tree doesn't look dead at all but the inside is white...

Location is Netherlands if that helps. Thanks in advance.
Where are you and where did you get it?

Top Bottom